Office: HH 289C
Phone: 519-888-4567 x32533
Education and certifications
- PhD, Accounting (University of Waterloo) 2011
- MAcc (University of Waterloo) 2003
- BA, Accountancy (University of Waterloo) 2002
- Chartered Professional Accountant, CA (Ontario) 2005
My research is behavioural - primarily experiments, but interviews too - and largely focuses on aspects of relationships within the audit context, such as how auditors relate to other auditors (e.g., advisors), teams, non-audit specialists, clients, regulators, and the accounting profession. More generally I am interested in the judgment and decision-making of individuals (particularly accounting professionals) in accounting or business settings. Often I have conducted my research with colleagues who are, or were at the outset, PhD students and I am eager to support research pursuits of future students.
Bauer, T. D., A. C. Bucaro, and C. Estep. The Unintended Consequences of Material Weakness Reporting on Auditors’ Acceptance of Aggressive Client Reporting. The Accounting Review, forthcoming.
Autrey, R. L., T. D. Bauer, K. E. Jackson, and E. Klevsky. Deploying “Connectors”: A Control to Manage Employee Turnover Intentions? Accounting, Organizations and Society, forthcoming.
Bauer, T. D. and C. Estep. One Team or Two? Investigating Relationship Quality between Auditors and IT Specialists: Implications for Audit Team Identity and the Audit Process. Contemporary Accounting Research, forthcoming.
Trotman, K. T., T. D. Bauer, and K. A. Humphreys. 2015. Group Judgment and Decision Making in Auditing: Past and Future Research. Accounting, Organizations and Society 47: 56-72.
Bauer, T. D. 2015. The Effects of Client Identity Strength and Professional Identity Salience on Auditor Judgments. The Accounting Review 90 (1): 95-114.
Bauer, T. D., B. Dehning, and T. C. Stratopoulos. 2012. The Financial Performance of Global Information and Communication Technology Companies. Journal of Information Systems 26 (2): 119-152.
- Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, 2017-present
- Contemporary Accounting Research, 2013-present
Distinguished Alumnus, School of Accounting and Finance Fellowship Program, University of Waterloo, 2004-present
List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent, University of Illinois, 2013-14, 2016-2017
- Center for Audit Quality (CAQ), "The Unintended Consequences of Material Weakness Reporting on Auditors' Acceptance of Aggressive Client Reporting", with A. Bucaro and C. Estep, 2017, access to 150 auditor professionals
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), "Who are the Risk-Takers?", with A. Bauer and D. Curran, 2015-2017, $74,000
- Canadian Financial Executives Research Foundation (CFERF), "Corporate Reporting Awards and Financial Reporting Quality", with J. E. Boritz, 2008, $10,000