Office: Hagey Hall 383G
Phone: 519-888-4567 or x45752
My current research interest focuses on earnings management and the impact of the US sub-prime crisis on Canadian financial institutions. I also have worked on a number of projects related to bankruptcy prediction and Initial Public Offerings (IPOs).
Education and certifications
- BMath (University of Waterloo)
- MBA (McMaster University)
- MS (Cornell University)
- PhD (Cornell University)
- Chartered Professional Accountant, Certified Management Accountant (FCPA, FCMA)
- Bandyopadhyay, Satiprasad, Ranjini Jha, and Duane Kennedy, “The Effect of the US Sub-prime Crisis on Canadian Banks.” Advances in Accounting, volume 36, March 2017.
- Brown, Kareen, Changling Chen, and Duane Kennedy, "Target Ownership Plans and Earnings Management." Advances in Accounting, volume 36, March 2017.
- Gupta, Parveen P., Duane B. Kennedy, and Samuel W. Weaver, “Corporate Governance Scores, Tobin’s Q and Firm Performance: Evidence from Canadian Capital Markets.” Corporate Ownership and Control, volume 6(3), Spring 2009.
- Kennedy, Duane, J. Efrim Boritz, and Jerry Sun, "Predicting Business Failures in Canada." Accounting Perspectives, volume 6(2), Summer, 2007.
- Kennedy, Duane, Ranjini Sivakumar, and Ken Vetzal, "The Implications of IPO Underpricing for the Firm and Insiders." Journal of Empirical Finance, January, 2006.
- Kennedy, Duane, Craig T. Schulman, Deborah W. Thomas, and Keith F. Sellers, "Effects of Tax Integration and Capital Gains Tax on Corporate Leverage." National Tax Journal, volume 49(1), March, 1996.
- Kennedy, Duane, and Wayne H. Shaw, "What's Behind a Reported Deviation From Historical Costs?" The Journal of Financial Statement Analysis, Summer, 1996.
- Kennedy, Duane, J. Efrim Boritz, and Augusto de Miranda e Albuquerque, "Predicting Corporate Failure Using a Neural Network Approach." International Journal of Intelligent Systems in Accounting Finance and Management, volume 4(2), June, 1995, pg. 95-111.
- Kennedy, Duane, and J. Efrim Boritz, "Effectiveness of Neural Network Types for Prediction of Business Failure." Expert Systems with Applications, volume 9(4), 1995, pg. 503-512.
- Theo Stratopoulos and Duane Kennedy, "Mapping IT Spending Across Industry Classifications: An Open Source Dataset"
- Copies of working papers can be obtained from Social Science Research Network (SSRN).
- Intermediate Financial Accounting I (AFM 291) (PDF)
- Accounting Theory (AFM 401)
- Introduction to Financial Accounting (AFM 101) (PDF)
- Intermediate Financial Accounting II (AFM 391) (PDF)
- Robert Harding Teaching Fellow, 2014-2016
- L.S. Rosen Outstanding Accounting Educator, Canadian Academic Accounting Association, 2008
- Elected "Fellow" of the Society of Management Accountants of Canada, 2003
- Distinguished Service Award, Canadian Academic Accounting Association, 2002
- Chair, Canadian Accounting Hall of Fame Task Force, 2021-2023
- Past President, Canadian Academic Accounting Association, 2019-2020
- President, Canadian Academic Accounting Association, 2018-2019
- President-Elect, Canadian Academic Accounting Association, 2017-2018
- Canadian Academic Accounting Association, chair or member of various committees
- Member, AAA Global Engagement Committee, 2018-2019
- Lois Claxton Humanities and Social Sciences Award, "The Effect of the US Financial Crisis on the Canadian Economy", with Sati Bandyopadhyay and Ranjini Jha, 2011 - 2013, $5,500
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), "Technology Stocks: Valuation and Investor Behaviour", with Ranjini Sivakumar and Ken Vetzal, 2000 - 2003, $52,500