On this page:
To help you prepare for every step toward graduation, all students in 3A/3B General Science and 4A/4B Science degree programs will be sent an email series over the Fall and Winter terms. These email newsletters will capture important dates, highlight events, and suggest campus resources to support your transition to becoming alumni.
Newschool Photography is our exclusive photographer for graduating Science students. Grad photos are taken during the Fall term (November and December) to help prepare for class composites. Appointments are booked with Newschool Photography. Questions can be directed to Newschool Photography.
In your final academic term, you must complete the Application to Graduate form online (previously known as the Intention to Graduate form). Please note the deadlines below:
Spring Convocation (June)
- October 15 - December 1: if requirements are completed during the fall term
- October 15 - March 1: if requirements are completed during the winter term
Fall Convocation (October)
- June 1 - August 1: if requirements are completed during the spring term
The position of Class Valedictorian is an honoured one, and we encourage members of the graduating class to nominate their colleagues. The ability to organize and present a speech in a clear and persuasive manner is important, but the Valedictorian must also be a worthy and excellent representative of the graduating classes.
The Valedictory address follows remarks, greetings, and congratulations by the President of the University, and the Convocation Address by an Honorary Graduand. In some years, the Honorary Graduand has made the kind of speech the Valedictorian was expected to give, so it’s best if the speech is distinctive and unique in its content. The Valedictorian is expected to address Convocation for a maximum of five minutes. The address should be appropriate to the dignity of the occasion, and the audience size is typically 1000-2000.
1. Fill in the Valedictorian Nomination Form 2020 (PDF). Forms are due back to the Science Undergraduate Office by Monday, March 9 at 4pm. Nominees need signatures from at least five members of the graduating class.
2. Write a 200-300 word submission to support the Valedictorian Nomination Form. This written piece should explain why you are an excellent representative of the graduating class. Please include this submission with the Nomination Form.
3. Write a Valedictory speech. Each confirmed nominee will need to prepare the speech that they would deliver at the Science Convocation Ceremony in June.
4. Present your Valedictorian speech at the Selection Committee meeting. The nominees will present their speech to a selection committee composed of graduating science students. The selection meeting will be held during the week of March 16. More details about the speech requirements will be provided to the nominees after the nomination period has closed.
June 2020 Valedictorians:
|Morning Ceremony||Afternoon Ceremony|
Valedictorian Selection Committee - June 2020 Convocation
The selection committee will judge the nominees based on their written submissions and speeches. Please e-mail Danny Bui if you would like to be part of the selection committee. You must be a graduating student to participate.
All graduating students are invited to the Science Grad Reception held at Federation Hall in March. Details and formal invitations will be sent via the Graduation Newsletter.
Interested in starting a business, or considering entrepreneurship? Check out the Be A Star Program.