To be eligible for a work placement position, you must:
- be enrolled in full-time studies the academic term immediately prior to the work term
- have applied for and have been granted OSAP or other provincial student aid funding during the academic term immediately prior to the work term
- be returning to full-time degree studies at the University of Waterloo in the term immediately following the work placement
- be in satisfactory academic standing
This program is open to undergraduate (co-op and regular) and graduate students. Students may not be enrolled in full-time academic studies while employed under this program.
Graduate students should contact their supervisor or program director before applying to confirm that the work placement term will comply with their program requirements.
Apply for a work placement job
Step 1: Submit an application
Step 2: Ensure that your student loan application is complete
- OSAP students
- Your OSAP confirmation of enrolment must be completed at the time that SAFA confirms your eligibility with potential employers
- Out-of-province students
- You must provide a copy of your Notice of Assessment for the current study term to SAFA within 24 hours of the job posting closing in order to be considered
Step 3: Wait to be contacted for an interview and follow up with CE as required
How much can you earn?
Work placement jobs pay $2,200 per month over four months plus 4% vacation pay. Employers may choose to pay below or above this amount depending on the students' experience and the nature of the position.