Did you know that your energy consumption contributes to climate change? Fossil fuels like coal, petroleum, and natural gas are reported to be the main sources of energy, producing the vast majority of fuel, electricity, and heat used by people across the globe. The burning of these fossil fuels produces carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas that is know to warm Earth's Climate and disrupt the earth's natural systems.
The Sustainability Office invites you to participate in Unplug! Energy Reduction Challenge from April 4th - 29th. As apart of Earth Month, we hope to challenge you to reduce your energy consumption at home and at work through 5 simple activities.
The Unplug! Challenge is closely tied with Waterloo's Climate and Energy Action plan, Shift: Neutral. Core pieces of the plan includes a 17.5% reduction by 2025 and 35% reduction by 2030.
To learn more about Waterloo's commitment to becoming a Carbon Neutral by 2050, check out our Shift: Neutral Climate and Energy Action Plan.
Read more about the challenge below:
Unplug! Challenge | FAQs | Terms and conditions
Unplug! Energy Reduction Challenge
Are you ready for the Unplug! challenge? The rules are simple:
- Register your yourself or your department.
- Complete the 5 challenges to the best of your capability. These 5 challenges include:
- Turn It Off or Switch it Out! - Turn off all unnecessary lights during the day and switch out
- Make A Shift! - Shift your use of electric appliances off when not in use such as dishwashers, dryers and stoves.
- Lower it! - Reduce your thermostat by 1 degree!
- Let It Shine! - Open your blinds to have your home be heated by the Sun and to stop heating your home through traditional systems.
- Air Dry It! - Use clothes lines or drying racks to dry your clothing instead of using the electric drying appliance
- Complete the follow-up survey (which will be sent to your email if you registered) by May 7, 2022
- BONUS: Share your progress on social media using #UnplugUW and #ShiftNeutral to help inspire others
Note: If you are registering your department, at least one person will need to complete the challenges.
By completing the steps above, you will be entered in a random prize draw to win one of these amazing prizes (see terms and conditions):
- $100 gift card
- 1 of 2 $50 gift cards
- 1 of 10 $10 WatCard top-ups
Note: There is no 'winning' or 'losing' the challenge at the end of the week. The goal of the challenge is to bring awareness to how much and what kind of waste we produce in a week and to reflect on opportunities for more sustainable swaps. We encourage you to try to keep your jar as empty as possible for the week, though we acknowledge that COVID-19 presents unique challenges to waste reduction.
We've compiled a list of frequently asked questions to help you prepare for Unplug! 2022. If your question wasn't answered here, please reach out to the Sustainability Office.
1. How do I register?
Register here for the challenge.
2. I signed up my department, does everyone need to complete the activities?
No! All we ask is that at least one person compeletes the activities for your Department. However, we encourage everyone to try their best and set your own departmental goals.
3. How do I complete the follow-up survey?
If you provided your email on the registration form (and consent to email you), the Sustainability Office will send the link to the follow-up survey directly to your email.
Otherwise, the link will be posted on this webpage and the Sustainability Office social media channels (@uwsustainable on Instagram and Twitter).
Terms and conditions
- You must be a student or employee at the University of Waterloo, aged 18 years or older and residing in Ontario to be eligible for the prize draw.
- The challenge starts on Monday, April 4th 2022 and runs until April 29th 2022. (Registration will open on March 22nd 2022).
- The follow-up survey will be open until May 7th 2022 at 11:59pm.
- Completion of both the registration form and completed follow-up survey will enter participants into the prize draw.
- One entry per person.
- No purchase is necessary. Participation is voluntary and may be withdrawn at any time. Alternate entry can be arranged by emailing Aleks Spasevski (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The winners will be selected by random draw and notified by Monday, May 9th 2022.
- The selected winner must answer a skill testing question correctly and complete a Gift Reporting Form before obtaining the prize and being declared winner. If incorrectly answered, another entrant will be selected randomly.
- Selection of winners is randomized, where chances of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.