There are many ways to get involved in campus sustainability!
Programs and resources for everyone
Sustainability change requires requires collaboration from everyone. Find out how you can get involved on and off campus:
Sustainability Action Fund Do you have a great idea for a project or initiative that will improve sustainability on campus? All members of the campus community can submit an application to get support.
Sustainability Guide The Guide is a resource for the campus community on how to live, work, and study sustainably at Waterloo. It includes specific tips and resources across seven different action areas, and highlights programs and services available to employees and students on campus and in the community.
- Sustainability Book Club Are you an avid reader and interested in learning about various sustainability topics? Join our Sustainability Book Club, where we connect once per month over Microsoft Teams to discuss a new book related to sustainability.
- Green Volunteer Would you like to contribute to the campus and work with others like yourself who have a desire to accelerate campus sustainability? As a Green Volunteer, you will make a positive impact on the campus through campus wide events and campaigns, while working alongside people from the University’s community.
Programs for students
Students are encouraged to join one our sustainability programs and opportunities that integrate sustainability and sustainable development into academic and personal life.
- Green Residence Students have an incredibly important role to play in making the University of Waterloo a more sustainable campus. To support students in this journey, we've launched the Green Residence program in partnership with Campus Housing.
- Living Planet @ Campus WWF Canada is the country's largest conservation organization, with a mission to reverse the decline of wildlife. WWF Canada's Living Planet @ Campus program encourages students in the practice of sustainability and the protection of nature on campus and beyond.
- Student groups Students are actively engaged in Waterloo’s sustainability efforts through advocacy, awareness-building, service offerings, and cutting-edge research. Explore and join groups, clubs, and societies!
Programs for employees
Staff and Faculty are encouraged to join one of the many programs and opportunities that integrate sustainability and sustainable development into our day-to-day worklife.
Green Office Program Staff and faculty are encouraged to join the Green Office Program to champion change in their own departments. Ambassadors gain access to a network of like-minded champions across campus, a resources toolkit to support projects and initiatives, and recognition for departmental efforts!
Green Labs The Green Labs pilot is a way for staff, students, and faculty to be a part of the change they want to see at the University of Waterloo. To find out how your Lab can be more sustainable, contact the Sustainability Engagement Coordinator.
Sustainability Certificate Employees can also enrol in the Sustainability Certificate through Workday to learn more about local and global sustainability issues, Waterloo's goals and objectives, tools and resources to support sustainability efforts on campus and at home, and links back to individual departments. Employees can also access the course through the self-registration on Learn.