Help Campus Housing go green!
Students have an incredibly important role to play in making the University of Waterloo a more sustainable campus. To support students in this journey, we've launched the Green Residence program in partnership with Campus Housing. While the program will look a little different this term, we know that students are still looking for ways to build community and stay connected.
We're looking for students that are interested in (virtually) connecting with others on sustainability initiatives and who want to take action while living in residence. In Winter 2021, students will have the opportunity to:
- Engage in biweekly discussions with Green Residence mentors and other students
- Support a warm clothing donation drive
- Volunteer for an organics collection pilot
- Create social media and other digital content
- And more!
Interested students are encouraged to fill out the Green Residence application form by Wednesday, January 20, 2021. Read more about Winter 2021 activities below!
In Winter 2021, ambassadors will:
- Participate in biweekly virtual discussions on sustainability topics, including green buildings and cities, water conservation, biodiversity and nature, and sustainable transportation (~1 hour every 2 weeks)
- Take weekly actions to model sustainable behaviours/habits in residence
Read the full Green Residence Ambassador position description.
ORGANICS COLLECTION PILOT
Volunteers will help to divert organics from landfill in UWP by collecting organics from student rooms and dropping it off in the large outdoor bins.
We are recruiting 4-5 volunteers to support the pilot from February 1 – March 26. Volunteers are asked to commit to ~2 hours per week.
WARM CLOTHING DONATION DRIVE
Volunteers will help to sort clothing donations from UWP collection bins, to be donated to local community organizations in need.
We are recruiting 2-3 volunteers for several hours of sorting in early February.
VIRTUAL EARTH HOUR EVENT
Volunteers will work together to organize a virtual event for Earth Hour (week of March 22). Some ideas include a virtual film/documentary screening via Teleparty (formerly Netflix Party) or an engaging discussion on a sustainability topic.
We are recruiting 3-4 volunteers to support planning/marketing in February.
- Gain valuable leadership, teamwork, and communication experience
- Make a tangible impact in lowering your environmental footprint
- Fulfill requirements for WWF Canada's Living Planet Leader designation
- Make new friends and have fun!
This opportunity is currently available to students living in residence on main campus. Successful applicants will also have:
- Passion for sustainability on campus
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Positive and friendly attitude
- Social media experience is an asset
If you have any questions, please contact Andrea Bale at email@example.com or 519-888-4567 x36755.