A message from President Feridun Hamdullahpur to all students, staff, and faculty:
I am pleased to share the University of Waterloo’s 2016 Environmental Sustainability Report.
Each year, Waterloo publishes a summary of the actions that students, staff and faculty have taken across campus to reduce our environmental impact. From new research projects to student events to ongoing changes to policy and practice, it is inspiring to see the dedication and involvement of so many people in our University community.
The report also describes our performance in areas such as climate change, waste management, curriculum development and more.
Highlights from 2016 include:
- Further integrations into curriculum and research;
- Continued decrease in the carbon emissions intensity of the campus;
- Greater detail on Waterloo’s waste diversion rate;
- Launch and strong participation in Waterloo’s Green Office program;
- Encouraging feedback for additional action from a campus-wide sustainability survey.
Waterloo is committed to furthering campus sustainability. After consultations with many stakeholders, in early 2017 I approved Policy 53: Environmental Sustainability, to build a foundation for next steps. Our University is also preparing to release its first ever Environmental Sustainability Strategy over the coming months.
I encourage you to read the report as part of your ongoing support for Waterloo’s sustainability efforts.
President and Vice-Chancellor
University of Waterloo