There are many ways to change an office into a more environmentally friendly space. Sustainable office changes can save money, energy, and improve personal health. The following certifications and standards can help guide sustainable procurement options:
Certifications and Standards
|Cradle to Cradle||Certifications standards examine the health effects of construction materials, whether materials can be recycled and repurposed, and consumption of water and other resources, as well as, issues of social fairness.|
|UL ECOLOGO||The UL Environment ECOLOGO program certifies products, services and packaging for reduced environmental impact. ECOLOGO Certifications are voluntary, multi-attribute, lifecycle based environmental certifications that meet the ISO 14024 standards for eco-labeling.|
Things to Consider:
Buy credibly certified products
- Make sure to request options that are third party certified such as Cradle to Cradle, and UL ECOLOGO.
- How long is the product and its components meant to last?
- Does the product contain recycled components or materials? Have efforts been made to limit excess packaging and resulting waste?
- Does the product and/or packaging contain reusable/replaceable parts?
- Does the vendor offer an end-of-life takeback program? If no, can the product and/or packaging be disposed of through existing UW waste programs? Refer to the A-Z Sorting Guide if unsure.
Buy from green suppliers
- Browse through the Staples E-Way “Green Option” for procurement choices.