Josh D. Neufeld
Bachelor of Science (BSc), Master of Science (MSc) McGill, Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) UBC
Telephone: (519) 888-4567 ext. 38344
Office: B1 275
Lab: B1 294, ext. 38346
Research Group: Neufeld Research Group
Microbial communities are responsible for the biogeochemical cycling of trace gases, fertility of soils and aquatic environments, healthy function of the human body, metabolic production for the food industry, and countless applications in biotechnology. Despite a profound influence of microorganisms on human life and the global climate, little is known about the distribution and diversity of microorganisms in natural communities, the vast resource of genes associated with the majority of uncultured microbial life, and the identities of most microbial species on Earth.
The Neufeld lab is actively involved in basic and applied research projects that span three complementing research areas:
My lab develops and applies molecular and computational methods to explore complex microbial communities spanning aquatic, terrestrial, and host-associated habitats.
Linking function and phylogeny
We explore active microorganisms involved in transforming carbon and energy, to better understand who is doing what in the environment.
Using a combination of molecular and cultivation approaches, we investigate the microbial community members associated with ammonia oxidation and denitrification.
If you are interested in pursuing graduate or postdoctoral work in these exciting areas of environmental microbiology, please contact me by email.
For a complete publication list, please see my Google Scholar website.
Awards and Honours
- Excellence in Science Teaching Award, University of Waterloo (2014)
- Federation of Students Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award (2014)
- Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance Teaching Award (2014)
- Fisher Scientific Award, Candian Society for Microbiologists (2013)
- Outstanding Faculty Performance Award, University of Waterloo (2013)
- Jack Carlson Teaching Excellence Award, University of Waterloo (2013)
- Waterloo Region Top 40 under 40, Waterloo Record (2013)
- Outstanding Faculty Performance Award, University of Waterloo (2010)
- Young Microbiologist of the Year, Society for General Microbiology (2006)
- Canada-UK Millennium Research Award, NSERC (2005-2007)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, NSERC (2005-2007)
- Best Poster Award, 10th International Society for Microbial Ecology (2004)
- Killam Predoctoral Fellowship, University of British Columbia (2003-2005)
- Best Oral Presentation, American Society for Microbiology NW Branch (2003)
- Postgraduate Scholarship B, NSERC (2001-2003)
- Second Prize Oral Presentation, Canadian Pulp and Paper Research Seminars (2000)
- Postgraduate Scholarship A, NSERC (1999-2001)
- Girvin-Robertson Prize in Microbiology (1998)
- Canadian Society for Microbiologists
- International Society for Microbial Ecology
- American Society for Microbiology
- Society for General Microbiology