2017 marks the ninth year that the University of Waterloo has come together for Mental Health Wellness Day. Although resources are available at Waterloo 365 days a year, we use this day to draw awareness to the services available on campus and to support our community members who struggle with their mental health.
On Tuesday, October 24, drop by at one of our events to learn more about the mental health and wellness resources that are here for you.
October 24, 2017 events
- Free shoe tag fitness classes - All day for students at the PAC.
- President's Advisory Committee on Student Mental Health Panel Symposium live stream - Watch the PAC-SMH Panel representatives provide reports on their progress and send in questions for them to answer from 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Tune into the live stream and submit your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Resource booth - Stop by our Resource booth in the Science Teaching Complex (STC) to learn more about the resources available to both students and employees from 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Walk for Mental Health - Join us on a walk around Ring Road. Wear your Mental Health Wellness Day T-shirt or any orange shirt to end stigma and show your support for individuals with mental health concerns. We'll leave together at 11:30 a.m. from the STC. RSVP to let us know you are coming.
- The Federation of Students Annual General Meeting will conclude with a Q&A panel with representatives from the President's Advisory Committee on Student Mental Health. The AGM starts at 12 p.m. in the SLC Great Hall. On your way in, post a sticky note on the Wall of Wellness to tell us what wellness on campus means to you. Although the Feds AGM is an undergraduate student event, we invite graduate students, staff, and faculty to participate in the PAC-SMH Q&A panel immediately following the meeting.
Events in the AHS Expansion building
- Resource Fair - Learn about campus services for promoting and supporting mental health and well-being from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Service Dogs - De-stress with some fun interactions with service dogs in training from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Post-Secret - Contribute an anonymous secret or words of encouragement for those struggling with mental health from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Mental Wellness Word Cloud - Contribute your perspective on mental wellness to a real-time word cloud from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Events in residence
Ron Eydt Village
- Wellness Tie-Dye - REV North Quad Lounge from 7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Each colour of tie-dye will correspond to an aspect of mental health; the product will be a visual representation of how mental health has affected us one way or another.
- Post Secret Wall - REV Cafeteria from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Contribute an anonymous secret or words of encouragement for those struggling with mental health.
V1 Takes on Mental Wellness - Outside Village 1 Multi Purpose Room from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Contribute to a mental health and wellness wall and answer questions about wellness. Also find colouring activities, puzzles, tea, and cookies.
- Notes of Kindness - Lobby windows of Eby Hall, Wilmot Court, New Residence Building from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Contribute to a Notes of Kindness Wall in the front lobbies of Eby Hall, Wilmot Court, or NRB.
Planting Positivity - NRB Great Hall from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Plant seeds in mini compost planting pots. Paint the pots or write positive statements on them.
Dreams and Fears Wall - UW Place Grand Commons from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Share a personal dream and fear, and learn more about the dreams and fears in your community. Also find colouring activities and buttons!
Minota Hagey / Velocity Residence
Positiviti-tea Talks - Minota Hagey Great Hall 7:00 p.m. Enjoy tea and cupcakes, and chat about mental heath and wellness in the community.
- Post-Secret Wall - CLV Community Centre from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Share how you support your peers or how you receive support when times get tough. Snacks and chats will be available!
- Take What You Need - MKV Main Floor Lounge from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Share positive messages, pay forward random acts of kindness, and take what you need from the board.
Mental health resources
Resources available for students
UW Police - 519-888-4567 x 22222
For emergency services on campus 24/7.
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Ontario's Post-Secondary Student Helpline.
Here 24/7 – 1-844-437-3247
Region of Waterloo Helpline.
Grand River Hospital - 519-749-4300
On campus resources
Counselling Services - 519-888-4567 ext. 32655
Offers same-day appointments for emergencies and can be found in the Needles Hall addition on the 2nd Floor.
Health Services - 519-888-4096
Offers walk-in appointments for urgent concerns and can be found in Health Services building.
AccessAbility Services - 519-888-4567 x 35082
Provides academic support for University of Waterloo students who have both permanent and temporary disabilities. AccessAbility supports full-time, part-time, graduate and undergraduate students as well as students completing a degree through the Centre for Extended Learning.
Centre for Mental Health Research - 519-888-4567 x 33842
Offers accessible, effective mental health services for people of all ages in the Region of Waterloo.