Dr. Yuning Li is a Chemical Engineering Associate Professor and a researcher in the Waterloo Institute of Nanotechnology at the University of Waterloo. He is the Editorial Board Member for Advances in Nanoparticles and AIMS Environmental Science, the Associate Editor of Martials Focus, as well as the Editorial Board Member for Organic Photonics and Photovoltaics.
His research group studies optoelectronic materials that are suitable for the mass production of electronics using printing technologies. There is an emphasis on the development of printable electronic materials used in thin film transistors (for flexible displays, smart labels, chemo-/bio-sensors, themoelectrics, and memory devices) and photovoltaics (for solar cells and photodetectors).
The group developed several new p-type, n-type, and ambipolar polymer semiconductors with high mobility up to ~7 cm2/V.s in thin film transistors, which are useful for a range of applications..
Professor Li has invented and co-invented many metal nanoparticle-based conductive inks; one of which has been commercialized by Xerox (the “Silver Bullet” ink). Nanoparticle-based conductive inks are useful for printed organic electronics, since nanoparticles of < ~100 nm can be merged into conductive films at a low temperature of < 200 °C, which is compatible to the plastic substrates and organic semiconductors.
Professor Li has been the co-recipient of several awards including the 3rd Annual national Aeronautics and Space administration (NASA) Nanotech Briefs Nano 50™ Awards for Printed Organic Electronics in the Technologies category in 2007. So far he has authored over 100 articles in peer-reviewed journals. His Scopus’s h-index is 38. Professor Li has filed over 120 US patent applications with 72 granted.
- Organic And Polymer Semiconductors
- Organic Thin Film Transistors
- Organic Solar Cells
- Organic Photovoltaics
- Printed Electronics
- Printable Conductive Inks
- Polymer Synthesis
- Electronic Materials
- Polymer Solar Cells
- Polymer Bulk-heterojunction Photovoltaics
- Small Molecule-based OPV
- Dye-sensitized Solar Cells
- Organic Light-Emitting Diodes
- Chemical/biosensors And Photo-detectors
- Low Temperature-processable Conductive Links
- Fabrications And Characterization Of Organic Electronics
- Connectivity And Internet Of Things
- 1988, Master's, MS, Dalian University of Technology
- 1985, Bachelor's, BS, Dalian University of Technology
- CHE 241 - Materials Science and Engineering
- Taught in 2014
- CHE 102 - Chemistry for Engineers
- Taught in 2014, 2018
- CHE 745 - Research Topics in Polymer Science and Engineering
- Taught in 2016, 2017
- NE 125 - Introduction to Materials Science and Engineering
- Taught in 2015, 2016
- NE 499 - Special Topics in Nanostructured Materials
- Taught in 2016, 2017, 2018
- CHE 640 - Principles of Polymer Science
- Taught in 2017, 2018
- Quinn, Jesse and Patel, Haritosh and Haider, Fezza and Khan, Daid A and Li, Yuning, Converting a Semiconducting Polymer from Ambipolar into n-Type Dominant by Amine End-Capping, ChemElectroChem, 4(2), 2017, 256 - 260
- Bura, Thomas and Beaupré, Serge and Ibraikulov, Olzhas A and Légaré, Marc-André and Quinn, Jesse and Lévêque, Patrick and Heiser, Thomas and Li, Yuning and Leclerc, Nicolas and Leclerc, Mario, New Fluorinated Dithienyldiketopyrrolopyrrole Monomers and Polymers for Organic Electronics, Macromolecules, 50(18), 2017, 7080 - 7090
- Bura, Thomas and Beaupré, Serge and Légaré, Marc-André and Quinn, Jesse and Rochette, Etienne and Blaskovits, J Terence and Fontaine, Frédéric-Georges and Pron, Agnieszka and Li, Yuning and Leclerc, Mario, Direct heteroarylation polymerization: guidelines for defect-free conjugated polymers, Chemical science, 8(5), 2017, 3913 - 3925
- He, Yinghui and Quinn, Jesse TE and Hou, Dongliang and Ngai, Jenner HL and Li, Yuning, A small bandgap (3 E, 7 E)-3, 7-bis (2-oxoindolin-3-ylidene) benzo [1, 2-b: 4, 5-b′] difuran-2, 6 (3 H, 7 H)-dione (IBDF) based polymer semiconductor for near-infrared organic phototransistors, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 5(46), 2017, 12163 - 12171
- He, Yinghui and Quinn, Jesse TE and Lee, Suhyun and Wang, Guan Ying and Li, Xu and Wang, Jinliang and Li, Yuning, An aromatic amine-containing polymer as an additive to ambipolar polymer semiconductor realizing unipolar n-type charge transport, Organic Electronics, 49, 2017, 406 - 414