Frequently Asked Questions

Undergraduate students

Do you have recommended computer specifications for undergraduate students enrolled in your program?

Yes, we do have a document that lays out our recommended computer hardware for students in Architectural, Civil, Environmental, and Geological Engineering programs.

Graduate students

Do I need to CC my supervisor for tickets?

Supervisors are required to be CC'd in tickets if you are requesting resources (files, software, etc.) or purchasing IT-related equipment (computers, monitors, etc).


Where do I rent computer peripherals and multimedia equipment?

How is my computer supported by the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE)?

The systems managed by CEE will be put onto the wired network with the ability to have software and updates deployed onto the system. Users are not provisioned administrative privileges.

Self-managed systems grant the user full administrative rights, and thus the responsibility of support is on the user; IT support is limited. Hardware support is granted based on the existing warranty.


My personally owned computer has a complicated issue, can the CEE IT staff assist me?

We provide full support only to department-owned equipment, as detailed in the answer above. However, you may contact IST for further help.

My laptop/mobile device can't connect to the wireless network (eduroam), what should I do?

Make sure you are logging in by using, followed by your Quest/WatIAM password. If you still can't connect, try following IST's eduroam page.

I keep getting an É instead of A, how can I fix this?

Simply press Ctrl and Shift at the same time. 

How can I receive my Uwaterloo e-mails to my personal e-mail (Gmail, Outlook, etc.)?

Log on to WatIAM using your Nexus credentials, go to User Profile, followed by typing your personal e-mail into E-mail forward (delivery mailbox).

How do I fax or securely print?

To fax or print securely, please see the instructions on the printing page.

What should I do if I have received a phishing e-mail or installed malware?

E-mails that come from an unknown source accompanied with hyperlinks or urgent requests for action are often signs of a phishing e-mail, which are used in an attempt to obtain sensitive information on the user.

If, in the case that you feel that your computer has been compromised, run the built-in virus scanner on your computer. It also helps to install another anti-virus scanner in case the built-in scanner doesn't find anything.

What should I do if I am not able to connect to the campus network?

Install the University of Waterloo VPN client (Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client). After installation, run the application, enter and click connect. Then sign in using your WatIAM credentials. If you are still experiencing problems, try connecting to the "UW-General-Campus" group as opposed to the "UW-Campus" group. For further questions, please contact us or submit a request form using our helpdesk portal.

What should I do if I am not able to connect to a desktop remotely?

First, confirm that you are connected to the University of Waterloo VPN client. For information about installing and set up instructions for the Microsoft remote desktop client, visit Microsoft's remote desktop clients webpage. Make sure that the PC name is the, and when logging onto a machine include the domain in the username field as shown e.g. NEXUS\userid (NOT 

If you have any questions, refer to the Remote Desktop frequently asked questions page.

How do I obtain a license key for Rhino3D?

A personal license key for McNeel's Rhino3D for undergraduate use may be purchased at the W Store. Once you obtain the license key, it can be applied during the installation.