We will only consider award applications from students participating in University-approved international travel.
You must adhere to all safety measures as detailed on Waterloo International’s Safety Abroad website.
About the award
This $1,500 award is available to eligible students who are pursuing an approved international study, work, or volunteer experience. This award is part of the President's Upper-Year Award program which consists of the President's International Experience Award and the President's Research Award. Eligible students may claim each of these awards or two of one type, based on an approved experience.
- You must have received the President’s Scholarship of Distinction in Year One (awarded to students with a minimum admission average of 95%).
- You must have completed Year One with a minimum cumulative average of 80%.
- You must be a continuing full-time undergraduate student registered with the University of Waterloo.
- The experience must be undertaken prior to graduating from your undergraduate program.
Eligible international experiences
The experience must be undertaken outside of Canada and must normally be a minimum of one month in duration. Eligible experiences include:
- an approved Waterloo study abroad or exchange program
- an approved co-op work term
- a work or volunteer experience by a regular or co-op student
- a placement or study option undertaken to fulfill a University of Waterloo degree or course requirement (e.g., International Development fourth-year placement, Rome Architecture program)
- a volunteer experience which is part of a University of Waterloo sanctioned service-learning program (e.g., Beyond Borders)
- study on an approved letter of permission at a university outside of Canada that does not have an exchange agreement with UW
- summer study program outside of Canada
Consideration may be given for other documented international endeavours and/or to experiences which are less than one month in duration if it provides an intense, high-quality experience with relevant value to your field of study, or one that is required or recommended for your program.
Award application deadlines
You should apply before you depart for your experience or by the following dates:
- Fall travel: October 1
- Winter travel: February 1
- Spring travel: June 1
The award will be provided through your Waterloo student account on Quest and will be applied toward any outstanding fees you may have. Otherwise, the award will be refunded to you. Refunds will be issued by direct deposit to a personal bank account at a Canadian bank. Be sure to add or update your banking information on Quest if you haven’t already done so. If you are not able to do this, the refund will be held on your student account to be applied to future charges.
Contact Student Awards and Financial Aid if you have questions about specific award requirements, completing the form, or award decisions.