Warning message

You must log in to view this form.

Update Legal Name

This form can be used by all current and former undergraduate and graduate studies students.
[Note: Formerly referred to as the Change of Name Form.]

Use this form to change your legal name on your University of Waterloo student record, including the addition or removal of a middle name(s). To learn more about what can and cannot be included in your legal name change, visit the Undergraduate Studies Academic Calendar or the Graduate Studies Academic Calendar. To change your chosen/preferred first name, visit WatIAM.

You must provide a suitable legal document (see list below) or provide a signed Statutory Declaration Form (PDF) that justifies your legal name change. Note: Removal of a middle name(s) does not require documentation or a statutory declaration.

Suitable legal documents:

  • marriage certificate
  • divorce decree (last name only)
  • adoption papers
  • birth certificate
  • change of name certificate
  • driver's license
  • government-issued photo cards
  • valid passport
The University offers commissioner and notary services free of charge to University faculty, students, staff, alumni, and retirees for matters related to University business.​

Information and privacy: questions regarding the collection of information on this form can be directed to the form administrator.