This is a free two-hour assessment. See below for dates, times and registration.
Do you have low bone mineral density or osteoporosis? Are you Too Fit To Fracture?
Participate in an interactive event with kinesiology students at the University of Waterloo!
Sign up for a two-hour one-on-one session with a kinesiologist in training, where they will assess your body composition, strength, posture, and balance, and give you tips on how to do some basic strength and balance exercises. You will go home with your results and a booklet on exercise from Osteoporosis Canada. This event does not replace consultation with a health care provider or certified exercise professional. It is an opportunity for our kinesiology students to practice their skills.
Five session times will be offered at the Centre for Community, Clinical and Applied Research Excellence (CCCARE), in the Toby Jenkins Applied Health Research Building, 340 Hagey Boulevard, North Campus, University of Waterloo. Registration is limited to 10 participants per session.
Register for one of the following session times:
March 21, 2017
- 2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
March 25, 2017
- 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
During the session, you will participate in:
- Medical history and physical activity questionnaire
- Resting heart rate, blood pressure, height, weight, waist circumference
- Body composition analysis
- Grip Strength, Five times sit-to-stand test, walking speed test, balance test
- Posture check and tips on alignment
- Action planning with Canada’s Physical Activity Guidelines
- Learn how to do each of the following with good form, tailored to ability:
- Squat (sit-to-stand or body weight squat)
- Push-up (wall, counter or on floor)
- Bow and arrow pull with theraband
- Calf raise; Lateral raise
- Back extension exercise for posture.
You can choose to opt out of any of the above. You will receive a booklet with your results, and information to help you understand what they mean.
Participants must complete a consent form (PDF), and a PAR-Q (PDF) prior to attending. The forms may be accessed with the previous links to the PDF documents. Alternatively, you may contact us for more information.
If you answer YES to any of the PAR-Q questions or have a medical condition that might influence your ability to participate in exercise, you should consult your physician prior to attending the event.
To register, or have questions, please contact:
(519) 888-4567, ext. 38779
This event is a partnership between the Department of Kinesiology at the University of Waterloo, the Centre for Bone Health, Osteoporosis Canada and the A.R. Kaufman YMCA.