Director, Spine Biomechanics Laboratory
Office: BMH 3033
Phone: (519) 888-4567, ext. 36761
Fax: (519) 746-6776
Our research in the Spine Biomechanics Laboratory has three objectives: to understand how the low back functions; to understand how it becomes injured; and, knowing this, formulate and investigate hypotheses related to prevention of injury and optimal rehabilitation of the injured back, and ultimate performance of the athletic back.
We have two separate laboratory approaches - one which examines intact humans which utilizes a rather unique approach that monitors spine motion and body segment position, muscle activation, ligament involvement and modelling tissue loading in each individual subject; and a second approach where we examine the mechanical behaviour of low back tissues and spine specimens. Our graduate students have been involved in several issues such as investigating the load tolerance of the spine under various types of load, assessment of spine stability, examination of devices such as abdominal belts, examination of various injury mechanisms and determining the safest methods of achieving performance in the back, to name a few.
This work has been recognized with many awards including the R. Tait McKenzie Award 2005, the Canadian Society for Biomechanics Career Award 2004, the Stow visiting lectureship from the Ohio State University College of Medicine 2002, the Steven Rose Lectureship from the Washington University School of Medicine 2001, to name a few.
Preparing Leaders: Virtually all of the graduate students from the Spine Biomechanics Laboratory land exciting careers. Many are recruited as faculty members, and some become ergonomists or take various clinical positions. Unfortunately I have stopped taking new student due to my impending retirement.
Professor McGill currently serves on the editorial board for the journals Clinical Biomechanics, Applied Biomechanics and Spine.
McGill, S.M., Clinical Techniques for the Ultimate Back: Assessment and Therapeutic Exercise (www.backfitpro.com), 2007. Second Edition 2012.
McGill, S.M., The Ultimate Back: Enhancing Performance (www.backfitpro.com), 2010
- McGill, S.M., (2015) Back Mechanic: The step-by-step McGill method to manage back pain. Backfitpro Inc, (www.backfitpro.com).
- McGill, S.M. Ultimate back fitness and performance, Backfitpro Inc., Waterloo, Canada, 2004. Fifth edition 2014, ISBN 0-9736018-0-4 (www.backfitpro.com).
- McGill, S.M. Low back disorders: Evidence based prevention and rehabilitation, Human Kinetics Publishers, Champaign, IL, U.S.A., 2002. ISBN 0-7360-4241-5, Third Edition, 2016.
Now also printed in Japanese, 2003
Now also printed in Chinese, 2009.
Published papers 2013 (over 240 lifetime)
- Balkovec, C., Vernengo, J., McGill, S.M., (accepted May 4) Disc height loss and restoration via injectable hydrogel influences adjacent segment mechanics in-vitro Clinical Biomechanics, Clin. Biomech.
- A Bateman, C Balkovec, M Akens, A Chan, W Oakden, R Harrison, A Yee, S McGill, (accepted Feb 2016) Closure of the annulus fibrosus using a novel suture application device – in vivo porcine and ex-vivo biomechanical evaluation, The SPINE Journal.
- Giangregorio LM, Ashe MC, Shipp K, Cheung AM, Heinonen A, Papaioannou A, McGill S, Laprade J, Jain R, Leller K, MacIntyre N, Wark J. (in press) Intensity is a subjective construct", Osteoporosis International.
- Frost DM, Beach TAC, Crosby I, McGill SM. (In Press, Jan, 2016) The cost and distribution of firefighter injuries in a large Canadian fire department, WORK: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment & Rehabilitation.
- Cannon, J., Emond, D., McGill, S.M., (2016) Evidence on the ability of a pneumatic decompression belt to restore spinal height following an acute bout of exercise. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 39(4):304-310.
- Santana, J.C., Brown, L., McGill, S.M., (in press) The Anterior and Posterior Serape: The rotational core. Strength and Conditioning Journal.
- Frost DM, Beach TAC, Campbell TL, Callaghan JP, McGill SM.(2015) An appraisal of the Functional Movement Screen grading criteria – Is the composite score sensitive to risky movement behavior? Phys Ther Sport 2015 Nov 17;16(4):324-30. Epub 2015 Feb 17.
- Frost DM, Beach TAC, Callaghan JP, McGill SM. (2015) Exercise-based performance enhancement and injury prevention for firefighters: Contrasting the fitness- and movement-related adaptations to two training methodologies. J Strength Cond Res 2015 Sep;29(9):2441-59.
- Frost DM, Beach TAC, McGill SM, Callaghan JP. (2015) A proposed method to detect kinematic differences between and within individuals. J. Emg. Kinesiol. Volume 25(3): 479–487.
- Kushner A., M., Brent, J. L., Schoenfeld B., Hugentobler, J., Lloyd, R. S., Vermeil, A., Chu, D., Harbin, J., McGill, S. M., Myer, G. D., (2015) The Back Squat Part 2: Targeted Training Techniques to Correct Functional Deficits and Technical Factors that Limit Performance, J. Strength and Condit. Res. 37(2):13-60.
- McGill SM, Frost DM, Finlay T, et al. (2015) Can fitness and movement quality prevent back injury in elite task force police officers? A 5 year longitudinal study, Ergonomics 2015 Oct 8;58(10):1682-9. Epub 2015 May 8. Winner: Liberty Mutual award for top paper in 2015.
- Balkovec C, Adams M, Dolan P, McGill SM. (2015) Annulus fibrosus can strip hyaline cartilage endplate from subchondral bone: a study of the intervertebral disc in tension. Global Spine J 2015 Oct 25;5(5):360-5. Epub 2015 Feb 25. Won the top paper of the year for 2015 in the Global Spine Journal.
- Frost DM, Crosby I, McGill SM (2015). Firefighter injuries are not just a fireground problem. WORK. 09/2015; DOI:10.3233/WOR-152111
- Vera-Garcia, F., Ruiz-Pérez, I., Barbado, D., Juan-Recio, C., McGill, S.M., (2014) Trunk and shoulder EMG and lumbar kinematics of medicine-ball side throw and side catch and throw. European J. Human Movement, 33:93-109
- McGill SM, Cannon, J., Andersen J (2014). Muscle activity and spine load during pulling exercises: Influence of stable and labile contact surfaces and technique coaching. J.EMG.Kines. DOI 10.1016/j.jelekin.2014.06.002 24(5): 652-665
- Sidorkewicz, N., & McGill, S. M. (2014). Documenting female spine motion during coitus with a commentary on the implications for the low back pain patient. European Spine Journal, 1-8.
- Frost DM, Beach TAL, Callaghan J, McGill SM. (2015) A proposed method to detect kinematic differences between and within individuals. J EMG. Kin. 03/2015; 25(3). DOI:10.1016/j.jelekin.2015.02.012.
- McGill, SM, Cambridge, E., Anderson, J., (2015). A six week trial of hula hooping using a weighted hoop: Affects on skinfold, girths, weight and torso muscle endurance. J. Strength Cond. Res. 29(5):1279–1284.
- Lee B, McGill SM. (2014) Striking dynamics and kinetic properties of boxing and MMA gloves. RAMA. (Revista de Artes Marciates Asiaticas), 9(2): 106-115.
- Frantzis E, Druelle P, Ross K, McGill SM (accepted Sept 2014). The accuracy of osteopathic adjustments of the lumbar spine: A Pilot Study. Int. J Osteopathic Medicine 18 (2015), pp. 33-39 DOI information: 10.1016/j.ijosm.2014.09.001
- Balkovec C, Carstensen M, Leung A, McGill SM (2014). A Preliminary Investigation into the Morphology of Trabecular Bone Damage Associated with Intervertebral Disc Herniation. J Spine Neurosurg 3:6 doi:10.4172/2325-9701.1000162
- Lee, B and McGill, S.M. (2015) The effect of long term isometric training on core/torso stiffness. J. Strength Condit. Res. 29 (6):1515-1526.
- doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000000740
- Frost DM, Beach TAL, Callaghan J, McGill SM (2015). FMS scores change with performer's knowledge of the grading criteria- Are general whole body movement screens capturing "dysfunction". J Strength Cond Res 2015 Nov;29(11):3037-44
- Frost DM, Beach TAL, Callaghan J, McGill SM (2015). The influence of load and speed on individual's movement behaviour. J Strength Cond Res 2015 Sep;29(9):2417-25
- McGill SM, Cannon J, Anderson J, (2014) Muscle activity and spine load during anterior chain whole body linkage exercises: The body saw, hanging leg raise and walkout from a pushup. J. Sport Sci. DOI 10.1080/026 40414.2014.946 437
- Dejanovic A, Balkovec C, McGill SM (2015). Head posture influences low back muscle endurance tests in 11 year old children. J Mot Behav 2015 25;47(3):226-31. Epub 2014 Nov 25.
- Sidorkewicz N and McGill SM (2014). Male spine motion during coitus: Implications for the low back pain patient. SPINE 39(20): 1633-1639.
- Giangregorio LM, Ashe MC, Shipp K, Cheung AM, Heinonen A, Papaioannou A, McGill S, Laprade J, Jain R, Leller K, MacIntyre N, Wark J. “Is this exercise safe?” – Building consensus around responses to common questions about physical activity posed by people with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 28 (Supp1). Available at: http://www.asbmr.org/education/AbstractDetail?aid=ccf88652-3d98-4a0d-843fba44e6593d5f
- Giangregorio LM, McGill S, Wark JD, Laprade J, Heinonen A, Ashe MC, MacIntyre NJ, Cheung AM, Shipp K, Keller H, Jain R, Papaioannou A. Too Fit To Facture: Outcomes of a Delphi consensus process on physical activity and exercise recommendations for adults with osteoporosis with or without vertebral fractures. Osteoporosis International, DOI 10.1007/s00198-014-2881-4, Osteoporosis International: Volume 26, Issue 3 (2015), Page 891-910.
- Myer GD, Kushner AM, Brent JL, Schoenfeld BJ, Hugentobler J, Lloyd RS, Vermeil A, Chu DA, Harbin J, McGill SM. The back squat: A proposed assessment of functional deficits and technical factors that limit performance. Strength Cond. 2014 Dec 1;36(6):4-27.
- Giangregorio L, MacIntyre N, Heinonen A, Cheung A, Wark J, McGill SM, Shipp K, Ashe M, Laprade J, Jain R, Keller H, Papaioannou A (2014). Too fit to fracture: A consensus on future research priorities in osteoporosis and exercise. Osteoporosis International. 25;1465-1472. DOI 10.1007/500198-014-2652-2
- Casthanhero R, Duarte M, McGill SM (2014). Corrective sitting strategies: an examination of muscle activity and spine load. J. EMG. Kinesiol. 24(1): 114-119.
- Beach, T.A.C., Frost, D.M., McGill, S.M., Callaghan, J.P. Physical fitness improvements and occupational low-back loading – An exercise intervention study with firefighters. Ergonomics 57(5): 744-763, 2014.
- Frost, D. M., Beach, T. A., McGill, S. M., & Callaghan, J. P. (2015). The predictive value of general movement tasks in assessing occupational task performance. Work: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment and Rehabilitation. 06/2014; 52(1). DOI:10.3233/WOR-141902
- Badiuk, B. W., Andersen, J. T., & McGill, S. M. (2014). Exercises to Activate the Deeper Abdominal Wall Muscles: The Lewit: A Preliminary Study. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 28(3), 856-860.
- McGill SM, Cannon J, Andersen J (2014). Analysis of pushing exercises: Muscle activity and spine load while contrasting techniques on stable surfaces with labile suspension strap training system. J. Strength Condit. Res. 28(1): 105-116.
- Sidorkewicz N, Cambridge E, McGill SM (2014). Examining the effects of altering hip angle on gluteus medius and tensor fascia latae interplay during common non-weight bearing hip rehabilitation exercises. Clin.Biomech. 29(9):971-976.