In 1854, William Brown, Ashley Hibbard and George Bourn met in Montreal to start Brown, Hubbard, Bourn & Co., the first manufacturer of Caoutchouc (Indian rubber) footwear in Canada. Several mergers and acquisitions later, they became the Dominion Rubber Company in 1910, and in 1912 built the Dominion Tire factory in Berlin (now Kitchener) to meet the new demand for automobile tires.
In 1917, an integral part of the Dominion Tire factory was opened, the Rubber Machinery Shops (RMS). Built next to Dominion Tire for the express purpose of creating machines for use in the factory, the Rubber Machinery Shops (RMS) designed and manufactured machines for use in the rubber industry (and eventually many others) at this location until 2009. RMS donated their archives to the University of Waterloo Library in 2010.
Included in the RMS donation were issues of the Dominion Rubber Company magazine, The Dominion, from 1942 to 1957.
During World War II, Dominion Rubber supplied the military with gas masks and gas-proof clothing; the masks were also intended for general civilian use.
Previous post: New exhibit : 16 days of activism against gender violence