Blog posts archive

December 2015

Les oeuvres spirituelles de Monsieur de Bernieres Louvigni

Today's blog post features a rather interesting item that we've been including in displays for years.

Fire!

Golf's Steak House opened in 1976, at 598 Lancaster St. W. in Kitchener. The building was designed by W.H. Breithaupt in 1903, and was originally occupied by the Bridgeport Casino. Special Collections & Archives also holds the blueprints for the casino.

Journal of a party of pleasure to Paris in the month of August, 1802

Sir John Dean Paul (1775-1852) was an English Neo-Classical artist, specializing in bucolic scenes and horses. He became the first Baronet of Rodborough in 1821.

Gas masks for military and civilian use

In 1854, William Brown, Ashley Hibbard and George Bourn met in Montreal to start Brown, Hubbard, Bourn & Co., the first manufacturer of Caoutchouc (Indian rubber) footwear in Canada. Several mergers and acquisitions later, they became the Dominion Rubber Company in 1910, and in 1912 built the Dominion Tire factory in Berlin (now Kitchener) to meet the new demand for automobile tires.

Blog topics

  1. 2017 (9)
    1. September (1)
    2. August (2)
    3. July (1)
    4. May (1)
    5. April (2)
    6. February (2)
  2. 2016 (18)
    1. December (1)
    2. November (1)
    3. September (1)
    4. July (1)
    5. June (2)
    6. May (1)
    7. March (3)
    8. February (4)
    9. January (4)
  3. 2015 (20)