How to Apply

Students who want to study Music must apply and be accepted to the University of Waterloo through an entry program. (Music is not an entry level program. Apply through Honours Arts or Honours Arts & Business.)

In the Faculty of Arts, you would select music as your major at the end of your first year, but start taking music courses in your first year (audition required for some courses).  Anyone in another faculty can take music courses as an elective or part of a music minor at any time their program allows.  It is possible to do double major studies within the Faculty of Arts or do a joint honour between different faculties

Application information

  • View instructions for how to apply to the University of Waterloo.
  • Information on application deadlines.
  • Students interested in majoring in Music should apply to Honours Arts or Honours Arts & Business.

Admission requirements

See either Honours Arts and/or Honours Arts & Business requirements. 

  • These are both entry level programs that allow you to major in music.  (Double majors and joint honours majors are options as well, after your first year of studies.)

Music Entrance Scholarship

  • Audition required to be eligible for this Scholarship. See details.

Explore admission requirements for all University of Waterloo programs.

How to apply