Dr. Foldvari's research focuses on the development of intelligent delivery systems and biomolecular devices with the goal of developing new, non-invasive technologies to deliver and target therapeutic agents into the body and to diseased tissues, as well as investigating the fundamental properties of these delivery technologies and the cells they target.
Dr. Foldvari is also a Member of Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology (WIN) and the Center for Bioengineering and Biotechnology (CBB).
Office: PHR 3003
Phone: 519-888-4567 ext. 21306
Dr. Marianna Foldvari is an internationally recognized expert in nanomedicine. Dr Foldvari’s interest includes pharmaceutical nanotechnology, non-invasive drug, protein and gene delivery system design (dermal, transdermal, transmucosal, ocular and intrapulmonary) for regenerative medicine in dermatology, ophthalmology and immunology
For more information see Dr. Foldvari’s Research Group
Dr. Foldvari teaches at both the graduate and undergraduate levels. Course offerings have included:
PHARM 124 Pharmaceutics
PHARM 604 Gene Therapy
- Chen, D.W. and Foldvari, M. (2018). Retinal multipotent stem cell derived “MiEye” spheroid 3D culture model for preclinical screening of non-viral gene delivery systems. Precision Nanomedicine. July;1(2):106-123 DOI:10.29016/180711.1
- Chen D.W., Pauloff K. and Foldvari M. (2018) Three-dimensional co-culture bioassay for screening of retinal gene delivery systems. Methods Mol. Biol. 1715:79-88. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4939-7522-8_6.
Calderon-Nieva D, Bandara-Goonewardene K, Gomis S, Foldvari M. (2017) Veterinary vaccine nanotechnology: pulmonary and nasal delivery in livestock animals. Drug Deliv. Transl. Res. DOI 10.1007/s13346-017-0400-9
- Bandara Goonewardene K, Popowich S, Gunawardana, T, Gupta A, Kurukulasuriya S, Karunarathna R, Chow-Lockerbie B, Ahmed KA, Tikoo S, Foldvari, M, Willson P and Gomis S.. (2017) Intrapulmonary Delivery of CpG-ODN Microdroplets Provides Protection Against Escherichia coli Septicemia in Neonatal Broiler Chickens Avian Dis. 61 (4), 503-511.
- Chen DW and Foldvari M. (2016) In vitro bioassay model for screening non-viral neurotrophic factor gene delivery systems for glaucoma treatment. Drug Deliv. Transl. Res. 6:676-685. doi:10.1007/s13346-016-0324-9
- Foldvari M. and Kumar P. (2017) Perspectives on dermal delivery of macromolecular drugs. In: Percutaneous penetration enhancers. Drug penetration into/through the skin. Dragicevic-Curic, N. and Maibach, H. (eds.), Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg DOI 10.1007/978-3-662-53270-6_21
- Foldvari M and Chen, DW. (2016) The intricacies of neurotrophic factor therapy for retinal ganglion cell rescue in glaucoma: a case for gene therapy. Invited Review, Neural Regen. Res.11:875-877.
- Foldvari M, Chen DW, Nafissi N, Calderon D, Narsineni L, Rafiee, A. (2016) Non-viral gene therapy: gains and challenges of non-invasive administration methods. Invited review for the North American Special Issue; J. Control. Rel.240:165-190.doi:10.1016/j.jconrel.2015.12.012
- Foldvari M. and Kumar P. (2016) Permeation enhancement by molecular organization switching (MOS): Biphasic vesicles for the cutaneous delivery of proteins. In: Percutaneous penetration enhancers. Chemical Methods in Penetration Enhancement. Dragicevic-Curic, N. and Maibach, H. (eds.), Springer pp. 309-318. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-47862-2_20
- Gharagozloo M, Rafiee A, Chen DW, Foldvari M. (2015) A flow cytometric approach to study the mechanism of gene delivery to cells by gemini-lipid nanoparticles: an implication for cell membrane nanoporation. J. Nanobiotechnol. 13:62.
- Huzil JT, Saliaj E, Ivanova M, Gharagozloo M, Loureiro JM, LamprechtC, Korinek A, Chen DW, Foldvari M. (2015) Selective nuclear localization of siRNA by metallic versus semiconducting single wall carbon nanotubes in keratinocytes. Future Sci. OA FSO17
- Dong C, Badea I, Poorghorban M, Verrall R, Foldvari M. (2015) Impact of phospholipids on plasmid packaging and toxicity of gemini nanoparticles. J. Materials Chem. B, 3: 8806-8822.
Awards and Distinctions
- WIN Research Leaders Award
- Honorary Award for Outstanding Lifetime Achievements in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology in Ontario
- AAPS Fellow
- The AFPC Pfizer Research Career Award
- YWCA Women of Distinction Award,
- Saskatchewan Top 25 Science Achievement Award
- Sabex Award of Innovation
Professional Associations and Service
BSc Pharmacy (Semmelweis Medical University)
DPharmSci (Semmelweis Medical University)
PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences (Dalhousie University)