PD13: Research in the Workplace introduces students to the importance of research across disciplines and workplaces. There's more to research than doing a few tests and writing about what happened: you have to review other work in the field and understand its consequences, conduct your own research in a responsible way, and share your findings with audiences who may not understand your work. You'll also likely work with researchers from other disciplines who'll enrich your work with their expertise and alternative perspectives. Research literacy is also critical for anyone interested in reading about groundbreaking studies in newspapers and online. PD13 gives students the tools they need to perform their own research and critically consume the work done by others.
What do PD13 students do?
- Design an infographic for a broad audience to communicate the results of a peer-reviewed research article
- Apply the Responsible Conduct of Research framework
- Critically evaluate research to determine validity of sources and practices
- "The professor was very helpful and kept connected throughout the term. The explanations in the lectures were clear and fully explained why the information would be useful to me. The units before quizzes linking the content to real life scenarios was very helpful in helping me understand. Additionally, the assignments were not all just writeups which made the course better."
- [Strengths of this course were] "the quality of assignments and the feedback presented. The practical, self-lead type of assignment was much more effective than a quiz or essay might have been. I feel like I'm leaving with some experience in defining a research problem, and with knowledge of how to begin the research process."
To pass PD13, a student must satisfy both of the below requirements:
- earn an overall grade of at least 50% on Assignments 1 - 3 (plus any bonus opportunities)
- receive a minimum of 50% on the Major Reflective Report
If you have a question about grading in PD13, contact the course team using the information in the sidebar.
Students who take PD13 can also count the course towards the completion of the Co-op Research Certificate.