The School of Public Health and Health Systems is a division of the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences
Affiliated Scientist, Propel Centre for Population Health Impact
Principal Investigator, Ontario Tobacco Research Unit
Associate Professor (status only), Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto
Office: LHN 2729
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 35516
Population-based chronic disease prevention, health of Nunavummiut, knowledge exchange, capacity building, implementation, practice-based evidence, public health policy and systems, qualitative and mixed methods, realistic evaluation.
I am not accepting graduate students at this time.
Foundations of Public Health, Capstone Integrative Seminar in Public Health, Practicum in Public Health, Qualitative Research Methods, mentorship of public health professionals and researchers.
BSc Health Studies (1979, University of Waterloo)
MSc Health Behaviour (1984, University of Waterloo)
PhD Health Studies and Gerontology (2008, University of Waterloo)
- Stich, C. and Garcia, J. Analysis of the Young Adult Ontario Workforce: Identifying Points of Intervention for Smoking Cessation within the Young Adult (Age 20–34) Workforce. A Special Report by the Ontario Tobacco Research Unit. Toronto, Canada: Ontario Tobacco Research Unit, 2011.
- Schwartz, R. & Garcia, J.M. Intervention Path Contribution Analysis (IPCA) for Complex Strategy Evaluation: Evaluating the Smoke-Free Ontario Strategy. In Forss K, Marra M, Schwartz R, eds. Evaluating the Complex: Attribution, Contribution, and Beyond. New Brunswick NJ: Transaction. In press
- Garcia, J.M. (Chair) Smoke-Free Ontario – Scientific Advisory Committee. Evidence to Guide Action: Comprehensive Tobacco Control in Ontario. Toronto, Ontario: Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion, 2010.
- Garcia, J., Beyers, J., Uetrecht, C., Kennedy,E., Mangles, J., Rodrigues, L.,Truscott, R. and the Expert Steering Committee of the Project in Evidence-based Primary Prevention. Evidence-Based Series Report #23-1. Healthy Eating, Physical Activity, and Healthy Weights Guideline for Public Health in Ontario. Program in Evidence-Based Care, Cancer Care Ontario, 2010.
- Garcia, J.M., & Riley, B.L. (2008). Primary Prevention of Chronic Diseases in Canada: A framework for action. Monograph distributed by CPAC (July 2008)