The School of Public Health and Health Systems is a division of the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences
Office: LHN 3716
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 41567
As a cellular microbiologist, research interests have focused on studying the molecular mechanisms of pathogenesis of communicable bacterial infectious diseases. More recently, research questions have taken a multi-disciplinary approach focusing on public health prevention of infectious diseases through immunizations, appropriate health and hygiene practices, as well as harm reduction programs. Additional areas of research include pedagogy and curricular design with an emphasis on integrating active-learning methods into undergraduate courses to improve student learning and engagement.
- Human biology
- Cellular and molecular biology
- Communicable diseases
- Experimental methods
BSc Biology (with Honours), Wilfrid Laurier University
MSc Health Science, McMaster University
PhD Medical Science, University of Toronto
PDF Curriculum Fellows Program, Harvard Medical School
MPH SPHHS, University of Waterloo
Jandu N. Teaching Resources, Microbiology, In: Reference Module in Life Sciences - Fourth Edition. Elsevier Academic Press, Oxford. 2017; ISBN 9780128096338. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-809633-8.13116-4.
Jandu N. ‘Clicker Student Response Systems: Dedicated physical devices or internet-enabled systems that allow students to bring their own device (BYOD)’. Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education. 2018; 19(1): 62-63; doi: 10.1128/jmbe.v19i1.1467.
Franks, A and Jandu, N. Vaccine Rates and Protective Health Behaviors Amongst College Students During Influenza Season, Journal of Biomedical Sciences. 2017; 6(3):22-30; doi:10.4172/2254-609X.100066.
Jandu N. ‘Microbiology Instruction Using Current Foodborne Outbreak Resources’. Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education. 2016; 17(3): 495-498; doi:10.1128/jmbe.v17i3.1213.
Jandu N and Goldberg MR. Dysentery. In: The Prokaryotes – Human Microbiology (Fourth Edition), Edited by Eugene Rosenberg, Edward F. DeLong, Stephen Lory, Erko Stackebrandt and Fabiano Thompson. Springer Publications, Berlin, Heidelberg. 2013. ISBN: 9783642301445. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-30144-5_100.
Jandu N. Microbiology for the masses: teaching concepts and skills to a general audience. Trends in Microbiology. 2012; 20(10): 459-60; PMID: 22902803; doi: 10.1016/j.tim.2012.07.006.
Jandu N, Karmali MA, Mascarenhas M, Duffy S, Tailor C and PM Sherman. Enterohemorrhagic E. coli O157:H7 gene expression profiling in response to growth in the presence of host epithelia. PLOS One. 2009; 4(3):e4889; PMID: 19293938; PMCID: PMC2654852; doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0004889.
Jandu N, Zeng JJY, Johnson-Henry KC and PM Sherman. Probiotics prevent Shiga-like toxin producing Escherichia coli (STEC) mediated inhibition of interferon-gamma stimulated tyrosine phosphorylation of signal transducer and activator of transcription (STAT)-1. Microbiology. 2009; 155:531-540; PMID: 19202101; doi: 10.1099/mic.0.021931-0.
- Sonnenburg, J & Sonnenburg, E (2016), The good gut: taking control of your weight, your mood, and your long-term health. Penguin Books.
- Kalanithi, P (2017), When Breath Becomes Air. Random House Publishing.
- Schwarz, A (2017), A.D.H.D. nation children, doctors, Big Pharma, and the Making of an American Epidemic. Scribner Books.
- Cain, S (2013). Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. Broadwat Books.
- Fairbanks, DJ (2015), Everyone Is African: How Science Explodes the Myth of Race. Prometheus Books
- Mukherjee, M (2011), The Emperor of All Maladies: A biography of Cancer. Scribner Books.
- Preston, R (1995), The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus. Anchor Books.
- Skloot, R (2011), The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Broadway Books.
- Gladwell, M (2002), The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference. Back Bay Books.