Associate Director, Teaching & Learning
Office: Hagey Hall
Phone: 519-888-4567 x35143
Education and certifications
- BComm (Queen's University)
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA) (Ontario)
- CPA Fellow (FCPA), CA Fellow (FCA)
- LS Rosen Outstanding Educator Award, Canadian Academic Accounting Association (CAAA), 2018
- Outstanding Performance Award, University of Waterloo, 2008
- FCA awarded in 2003 by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario
- Distinguished Teacher Award received in 2006 from the University of Waterloo
- Director, School of Accounting and Finance (2006 - 2012, 2017 - 2018)
- CPA Canada Income Tax Education Committee (2016 - present)
- Member, Governing Council, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario (2003 - 2009)
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA) Tax Policy Committee (2009 - 2011)
- Toronto Financial Services Alliance Project Oversight Committee for the Centre of Excellence (2008 - 2009)
- Director, Deloitte Centre for Tax Education and Research (1996 - 2006)
- Director, Master of Taxation Program (1996 - 2006)
- Seminar Leader, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario School of Accountancy (1986 - 2001)
- Barnett, James, R. Beam, and Stanley Laiken. , Introduction to Federal Income Taxation in Canada, Commerce Clearing House (CCH) Canadian:Toronto, 38th Edition, 2017.
- Barnett, James, C. Ireland, P. Everett, and S. Rinald, 'Post Mortem Planning for Private Company Shares: A New Regime' , 2002 Annual Conference (Toronto: Canadian Tax Foundation) , 2003.
- Barnett, James, Glenn Feltham, and Tammi Feltham., 'Are Canadian Family Businesses Ready for Succession?' , Isuma: Canadian Journal of Policy Research , volume 2(4), Winter, 2001, pg. 116-122.
- Barnett, James., Transition Planning: An Advisor's Approach to Estate, Disability and Retirement Planning for the Business Owner, CCH Canadian, Toronto, 2000.
Jim has taught courses in our AFM, MTax and MAcc programs.
University of Waterloo