Phone: 519-888-4567 x38426
Education and certifications
- Bachelor of Mathematics (University of Waterloo)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Wilfrid Laurier University)
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA Institute)
Steve Balaban is the Founder and Chief Investment Officer of Mink Capital, a private equity group focused on acquiring small-to-medium sized companies with strong cash flows. Mr. Balaban is an inspiring, entertaining speaker on the subjects of private equity, wealth management and entrepreneurship. He also consults family offices and top private equity firms.
He serves as a member of CFA Society Toronto’s Private Client Committee, Mentorship Committee and Awards and University Relations Committee.
Prior to Mink Capital, as a senior executive of a private equity company, Mr. Balaban conducted a consolidation of billboard companies throughout Canada. Through acquisitions and partnerships across Canada, he turned a small billboard company into Stellar Outdoor Advertising, a player in the Canadian billboard market with over two hundred billboards. He served as President of Stellar Outdoor Advertising for over three years before deciding to venture out on his own to start Mink Capital.
Mr. Balaban has extensive international experience. He has worked, studied and visited over seventy countries in every continent in the world.
Presentations and Seminars
- March 2016 – How to Pursue a Career in Private Equity; Presented at Schulich School of Business’s MBA Private Equity and Venture Capital MBA Class; Toronto, Canada
- February 2016 – What is Private Equity; Presented at Concordia University's John Molson School of Business's MBA Analysis of Equity Investments Class; Toronto, Canada
- February 2016 – The CFA Mentorship Program; Presented at the TMX Broadcast Centre; Toronto, Canada
- November 2015 – How Family Offices Can Invest Directly in Private Equity (methods to pursue, evaluate and create value through the purchase of private companies); Presented at Family Office Forum; Zurich, Switzerland
- September 2015 – Career Success; Presented at George Brown College; Toronto, Canada
- July 2015 – Pursue a Career in Private Equity; Presented at University of Waterloo Experiential Learning & Career Development; Waterloo, Canada
- May 2015 – Ethical Issues in Finance (issues identified and approaches to education); Presented at the Canadian Academic Accounting Association; Toronto, Canada
- March 2015 - A Day in the Life of a... Successful Entrepreneur, Private Equity Expert and Charterholder; Presented at the CFA Society Toronto; Toronto, Canada
- February 2015 – Private Equity: Your Future; Presented at the UW Finance Association; Waterloo, Canada
- November 2014 – Career Success; Presented at George Brown College; Toronto, Canada
- October 2014 - A Day in the Life of a... Successful Entrepreneur, Private Equity Expert and Charterholder; Presented at the CFA Society Toronto; Toronto, Canada
Memberships and Awards
- 2016 – Global Champion CFA Research Challenge (Industry Mentor for the University of Waterloo team)
- 2014 – Present; Member of the CFA Private Client Committee
- 2014 – Present; Member of the CFA Mentorship Committee
- 2015 – Present; Member of the CFA Awards and University Relations Committee
- 2015 – Present; Act as mentor for CFA Professionals through the CFA Society Toronto Mentorship Program
- 2014 – 2016; Industry Mentor for CFA Research Challenge (the University of Waterloo team)
- 2015/2016 – Judge for the Ace the Pitch Competition at the University of Waterloo
- 2015 - Member of the subcommittee to organize the CFA Wealth Conference
- 2014 – Judge for the Investment Research Challenge at the University of Waterloo
- 2014 – Judge for the Integrated Case Exercise (ICE) Competition at Wilfrid Laurier University
• Designed and developed a new course (AFM 416) titled Private Equity and Venture Capital.
• Teach AFM 416 - Private Equity and Venture Capital - focus on Raising Capital, Structuring Deals, Creating Leveraged Buyout (LBO) Models, Researching Venture Capital Investments, Unlocking Value through Exit Strategies, and more.
• Teach AFM 272 - Corporate/Managerial Finance 1 - focus on Global Financial Markets, Risk/Return Analysis, Valuation and more.
• Teach AFM 372 – (MATH) Corporate/Managerial Finance 2 - focus on Valuation, Capital Structure, Dividend Policy, Options, Long/Short term Financing, and more.
• Teach AFM 274 – (ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE) Corporate/Managerial Finance 2 - focus on Valuation, Capital Structure, Dividend Policy, Options, Long/Short term Financing, and more.
Chief Investment Officer - Mink Capital
May 2011 – Present - www.minkcapital.ca
Mink Capital is a private equity group focused on acquiring small to medium sized companies with strong cash flows across North America. Mink Capital also consults family offices and top private equity firms.
Director - Wealth Management Canada
January 2014 – Present – www.wealthmanagementcanada.com
Wealth Management Canada (WMC) is a platform that connects investors to the top wealth managers in Canada. WMC offers clients the expertise needed to connect with a wealth management company that best suits their needs.
Director - Build Your Identity Design
August 2013 – Present – www.byidesign.com
Build Your Identity (BYI) Design is a professional graphic design firm based in Toronto. BYI offers complete branding solutions for businesses.
President - Billboard/Out of Home Advertising - Stellar Outdoor Advertising
January 2008 – March 2011
Stellar Outdoor Advertising was a billboard/out-of-home advertising company with over two hundred billboards across Canada.
At Stellar, Steve:
• Acquired billboard/out-of-home advertising companies (and organically built billboards) in Muskoka, Kawartha Lakes, Saskatchewan, Hamilton, Caledon, Lindsay, Peterborough and Southwestern Ontario.
• Built Hamilton’s only digital billboard network (which was later sold to Pattison Outdoor)
Chief Investment Officer - Private Equity - Dunkley Capital
January 2008 – March 2011
Dunkley Capital Corp is a private equity firm focused on obtaining premium returns on real estate properties, outdoor advertising/media assets and other investments. At Dunkley Capital, Steve:
• Negotiated leases, contracts and purchase agreements
• Worked with municipalities on zoning and on by-laws that affected properties
• Acquired companies/assets throughout Canada
Equity Research Analyst - Gluskin Sheff + Associates Inc.
May 2005 – April 2006
Gluskin Sheff + Associates (GS+A) is a Canadian wealth management firm that manages investment portfolios for high net worth investors, including entrepreneurs, professionals, family trusts, private charitable foundations and estates. At GS+A, Steve:
• Researched and recommended companies for the GS+A Regular and Premium Hedge Funds
• Interviewed top management of companies seeking investments
• Worked closely with a co-founder of the firm.