The flag should be lowered:
- For current UW faculty, staff and students, on the day of the funeral.
- For any present or past Chancellors, Presidents, Chairs of the Board of Governors and currently serving Governors, on the day of the funeral.
- To mark the death of a national or provincial figure, or to join in national mourning, the University will lower its flags if the Government of Canada orders flags lowered on federal buildings throughout Canada or throughout Ontario.
- In recognition of major or multiple disasters - primarily national or touching academic institutions - or in special circumstances, as appropriate.
- On Remembrance Day, November 11, the flag will be lowered from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon .
Judgments re lowering the flag will be made by the Provost.
Should there be cases of doubt as to the proper action or interpretation, members of the University community (faculty, staff and students) are asked to contact the Secretariat for direction.