C. Perry Chou is a Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering at the University of Waterloo. He is also a Canada Research Chair in Bio manufacturing, as well as Editor of Biotechnology Advances (Elsevier) and Guest Editor for Bioresource Technology. Additionally, Professor Chou sits on the Editorial Board of Journal of Bioprocessing and Bioprocessing Techniques.
His major research interests include recombinant protein production, biofuel production and bioprocessing technology. Professor Chou’s work involves the application of biological sciences and engineering theories to develop novel bioprocesses for the production of recombinant proteins (including industrial enzymes and therapeutic proteins) and metabolites (including biohydrogen, biodiesel, and biobutanol).
Professor Chou’s research continues to develop integrated strategies for microbial biotechnology, molecular biology, metabolic engineering, and biochemical engineering for the manufacturing of bioproducts such as biofuels and hyaluronic acid. He is also the primary inventor of "Novel Soluble CD83 Polypeptides, Formulations and Methods of Use", which is a new drug that has been assigned to Argos Therapeutics Inc. in USA for development.
In addition to his research work, Professor Chou has written 3 book chapters: “Genetics, strain improvement, and recombinant proteins using Escherichia coli expression systems”, “Upstream processing | Genetic engineering” and “The Biochemical Basis | Enzyme biocatalysis”. These chapters are published in the books Manual of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, 3rd Edition; and Comprehensive Biotechnology: Principles, Applications and Regulations in Industry, Agriculture, Medicine and the Environment, 2nd Edition, respectively.
C. Perry Chou is a member of the Waterloo Centre for Microbial Research.
- Biochemical Engineering
- Recombinant Protein Production
- Microbial Biotechnology
- Gene Expression
- Genetic Engineering
- Metabolic Engineering
- Protein Engineering
- Biofuel Production
- Molecular Biology
- 1995, Doctorate, Chemical Engineering, Rice University
- 1987, Master's, Chemical Engineering, National Taiwan University
- 1984, Bachelor's, Chemical Engineering, National Taiwan University
- CHE 161 - Engineering Biology
- CHE 765 - Research Topics in Biochemical Engineering
- CHE 102 - Chemistry for Engineers
- CHE 361 - Bioprocess Engineering
- CHE 562 - Advanced Bioprocess Engineering
- K. Srirangan, M. Bruder, L. Akawi, D. Miscevic, S. Kilpatrick, M. Moo-Young, and C. P. Chou, "Recent advances in engineering propionyl-CoA metabolism for microbial production of value-added chemicals and biofuels", Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, in press (2017) (Accepted in 2016)
- K. Srirangan, L. E. Stacey, C. Newton, L. K. Akawi1, C. P. Chou, M. G. Aucoin, "Use of a case on metabolically engineered Escherichia coli to develop a framework for the design and analysis of bioprocesses", International Journal of Engineering Education, in press (2017) (Accepted in 2016)
- Pyne, Michael E and Bruder, Mark R and Moo-Young, Murray and Chung, Duane A and Chou, C Perry, Harnessing heterologous and endogenous CRISPR-Cas machineries for efficient markerless genome editing in Clostridium, Scientific reports, 6(25666), 2016
- Srirangan, Kajan and Liu, Xuejia and Akawi, Lamees and Bruder, Mark and Moo-Young, Murray and Chou, C Perry, Engineering Escherichia coli for microbial production of butanone, Applied and environmental microbiology, 82(9), 2016, 2574 - 2584
- Pyne, Michael E and Sokolenko, Stanislav and Liu, Xuejia and Srirangan, Kajan and Bruder, Mark R and Aucoin, Marc G and Moo-Young, Murray and Chung, Duane A and Chou, C Perry, Disruption of the reductive 1, 3-propanediol pathway triggers production of 1, 2-propanediol for sustained glycerol fermentation by Clostridium pasteurianum, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 17, 2016, 5375 - 5388