Garry L. Rempel is a Chemical Engineering Professor at the University of Waterloo.
His research interests lie in the areas of applied catalysts, green chemical engineering and chemical modification of polymers. In the area of chemical modification of polymers, Professor Rempel focuses on the design and development of novel catalytic systems. Catalytic reactions under study include hydrogenation, metathesis, hydroformylation, hydroxymethylation and hydrosilylation of a variety of diene based polymers and copolymers, as well as natural rubber.
Professor Rempel’s research group is also undertaking a study of nanomaterials. His research is centred on the innovation of novel techniques for synthesis, characterization and applications of polymer-based nanomaterials, including advanced nanomaterials and drug delivery carriers. Professor Rempel’s work also involves the synthesis and characterization of nanocatalysts for high activity and selectivity.
As a result of his impressive research contributions, Professor Rempel has received over 30 academic awards throughout his career. The most recent awards include appointment to the Order of Canada in 2015, the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal (Royal Society of Canada) awarded in 2013, the Ashland Padmavibhushan Professor C. N. Rao Medal (Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers) in 2011 and Chemcon Distinguished Speaker Award (Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers) in 2011. In addition, Professor Rempel has authored or co-authored over 330 publications and holds 35 patents.
- Polymer Science
- Nomination to Postions Comm. Royal Society
- Past President
- Can. Soc. of Science
- Royal Soc.
- Editorial Board
- Reactive & Functional Polymers
- Scientifc Comm. N.A. Catalysis Society
- Green Reaction Engineering
- International Advisory Boar
- Environmental and Pollution Control
- Chemical Reaction Engineering
- 1969, Other, Chemistry, Imperial College of Science & Technology,
- 1968, Doctorate, Chemistry, University of British Columbia
- 1965, Bachelor's, Chemistry, University of British Columbia
- CHE 632 - Introduction to Catalysis
- Taught in 2015, 2017, 2018
- CHE 102 - Chemistry for Engineers
- Taught in 2015
- Ran, Wen and Lin, Shaohui and Rempel, Garry L and Pan, Qinmin, Synthesis and Properties of UV Curable Waterborne Polyurethane Acrylate Nanocomposite Films Based on the Surface Modification of γ-Al₂O₃, 폴리머, 41(3), 2017, 385 - 393
- Zhou, Feng and Lin, Shaohui and Rempel, Garry L and Pan, Qinmin, Fabrication of Poly (styrene-co-acrylic acid)/Polystyrene Anisotropic Nanoparticles via Seeded Emulsion Polymerization, 폴리머, 41(6), 2017, 915 - 925
- Zhou, Feng and Lin, Shaohui and Rempel, Garry L and Pan, Qinmin, 성장핵을 사용한 유화중합을 통한 Poly (styrene-co-acrylic acid)/Polystyrene 비등방성 나노입자의 제조, Polymer (Korea), 41(6), 2017, 915 - 925
- Oribayo, Oluwasola and Feng, Xianshe and Rempel, Garry L and Pan, Qinmin, Synthesis of lignin-based polyurethane/graphene oxide foam and its application as an absorbent for oil spill clean-ups and recovery, Chemical Engineering Journal, 323, 2017, 191 - 202
- Songsiri, Nattaporn and Rempel, Garry L and Prasassarakich, Pattarapan, Liquid-phase synthesis of isoprene from MTBE and formalin using cesium salts of silicotungstic acid, Molecular Catalysis, 439, 2017, 41 - 49