Employment Information

 Teaching Assistantships

Teaching Assistants (TAs) play an essential role in our students’ learning process. They support instructors by tutoring students, marking papers and proctoring during tests and exams. They support students by answering  questions, helping solve problems and providing useful feedback. TAs for laboratory courses guide students to perform experiments properly and safely. TAs also support the University by modelling ethical behaviour, preserving academic integrity, protecting student privacy and maintaining a safe environment.

In return for their contributions, TAs earn money and gain experience teaching. The experience provides a new perspective from which to consider teaching, learning and the discipline of chemical engineering.

Whether you are considering becoming a TA or looking for information to support you in your current role as a TA in the Department of Chemical Engineering, the ChE TA Manual is a good place to start. It provides some basic information, including an overview of employment guidelines for graduate students, the responsibilities of a TA, and the application and selection processes. It also includes information about training requirements and resources for further information. 

Each term, the Department will announce the start of the application process for teaching assistant positions for the next term. Contact Sarah Fischer for more information.

International Student Employment Regulations

International students who want to work within the department need to make additional arrangements to comply with the Canadian government's immigration regulations. 

For information about the documentation you need and the university processes you must follow to legally work in Canada, please review the Canadian government's immigration regulations and reach out to the Student Success Office for further information.

If you have any questions, please contact the Student Success Office directly via email or telephone (519-888-4567 ext. 84410).