How To Apply

The following steps will assist you through the application process to graduate studies in Chemical Engineering at the University of Waterloo.

(1) Choose from research and course-work programs:

  • Master of Applied Science (research, supervisor required)
  • Doctor of Philosophy (research, supervisor required)
  • Master of Engineering (course-work, no supervisor required, self-funded) 
  • Master of Engineering Co-op (course-work, no supervisor required, self-funded, minimum 4 month co-op required)

(2) Review admission requirements

  • Note: Exceptional MASc applicants may be considered for direct-entry to the PhD program from a bachelor’s program. Applicants interested in being considered for a direct-entry PhD should include a statement to that effect in their Supplementary Information Form (SIF). Applicants who will be considered for direct-entry to the PhD program will be contacted by a representative from the Department within two months of the application deadline.

(3) Apply online

(4) Upload your documents

(5) ​Monitor your status

Note: For research-based programs, you can apply without a supervisor.  A supervisor is required to be accepted into our research based program.

Canadian citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply for part-time and full-time studies. Part-time arrangements are negotiated between a student and their prospective supervisor.

Explore potential supervisors by research area:

Important Information

You may apply to MASc and PhD programs without a supervisor. A supervisor is necessary only for acceptance into the program. To contact a faculty member regarding supervision, use our official contact form.