Tiz Mekonnen is an Associate Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering as well as the Director of the IBET PhD Project.
Professor Mekonnen's research interests are in the broad spectrum of topics in the general areas of bio-based polymers, polymer processing, sustainable nanomaterials, and polymer (nano)composites. His research combines chemical synthesis, polymer processing, material design & fabrication, rheology, and advanced characterization to advance the sustainability and functionality of polymer systems.
As the Director of the IBET PhD Project, Professor Mekonnen coordinates and leads the program's activities, including the expansion of the consortium member institutions, recruitment of IBET PhD Fellows, setting-up mentorship portfolio, recruiting mentors, and developing networking platforms. The IBET PhD Project, a national partnership project of Engineering faculties, is intended to foster equitable and inclusive research environments to increase the presence of Indigenous and Black academics in Engineering and Technology (https://ibetphd.ca/).
- Polymer blends and composites
- Polymer modifications and processing
- Rubber processing and modifications
- Biodegradable and compostable polymers
- Nanostructured polymers
- Polymer structure-property and applications development
- Dispersion Rheology & dynamics of colloidal nanomaterials
- 2013, Doctorate, Bioresource Engineering, University of Alberta
- 2009, Master of Science, Chemical Engineering, Addis Ababa University
- CHE 102 - Chemistry for Engineers
- Taught in 2018, 2019, 2020
- CHE 541 - Introduction to Polymer Sci
- Taught in 2019, 2020
- CHE 564 - Food Process Engineering
- Taught in 2020, 2021
- CHE 745 - Res. Tpcs in Polymer Science
- Taught in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Trinh, B.; Smith, M.; Mekonnen, T.H. A nanomaterial-stabilized starch-beeswax Pickering emulsion coating to extend produce shelf-life. Chemical Engineering Journal. 431 (2022)133905 (Accepted in 2021)
- Gupta, A.; Mekonnen, T.H. Cellulose nanocrystals enabled sustainable polycaprolactone based shape memory polyurethane bionanocomposites. Journal of Colloid and Internface Science. 2022 (Accepted in 2021)
- Chang, B.P.; Gupta, A.; Muthuraj, R.; Mekonnen, T. Bioresourced fillers for rubber composites sustainability: Current development and future opportunities. Green Chemistry 2021, 23, 5337 - 5378. (Accepted in 2021)
- Ojogbo, E.; Tzoganakis, C.; Mekonnen, T.H. Effect of extrusion, batch-mixing, and co-coagulation on the dispersion of CNCs in natural rubber - CNC nanocomposites. Composites: Part A 149(2021)106580 (Accepted in 2021)
- Jubinville, D.; Esmizadeh, E.; Tzoganakis, C.; Mekonnen, T. Thermo-mechanical recycling of polypropylene for the facile and scalable fabrication of highly loaded wood plastic composites. Composites Part B 219 (2021) 108873 (Accepted in 2021)
- Chang, B.P.; Gupta, A.; Mekonnen, T.H. Flame synthesis of carbon nanoparticles from corn oil as a highly effective cationic dye adsorbent. Chemosphere 282 (2021) 131062. (Accepted in 2021)
- Mekonnen, T.H.; Haile, T.; Ly, M. Hydrophobic functionalization of cellulose nanocrystals for enhanced corrosion resistance of polyurethane nanocomposite coatings. Applied Surface Science 540 (2021)148299. (Accepted in 2021)
- Gupta, A.; Chudasama, B.; Chang, B.P.; Mekonnen, T. Robust and sustainable PBAT – Hemp residue biocomposites: Reactive extrusion compatibilization and fabrication. Composites Science and Technology. 215 (2021) 109014 (Accepted in 2021)
- Mekonnen, T.; Behabtu, N., Lenges, C., Enzymatic polymerization derived engineered polysaccharides as reinforcing fillers of ethylene vinyl acetate composites, Carbohydrate Polymers, 241, 2020
- Ojogbo, E.; Ward, V.; Mekonnen, T., Functionalized starch microparticles for contact-active antimicrobial polymer surfaces, Carbohydrate Polymers, 229, 2019
- Ogunsona, E.; Blanchard, R.; Hojabr, S.; Berry, R.; Mekonnen, T., Synergistic Crosslinking and Reinforcing Enhancement of Rubber Latex with Cellulose Nanocrystals for Glove Applications, ACS Applied Polymer Materials, 2, 2019, 887 - 898
In the News
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.