Dr. Zhongwei Chen is a Tier 1 Canada Research Chair, Professor in Advanced Materials for Clean Energy at the University of Waterloo, Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering, Director of Waterloo Center for Electrochemical Energy, Associate Editor of ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, and Vice President of International Academy of Electrochemical Energy Science (IAOEES).
His research interests are in the development of advanced energy materials and electrodes for fuel cells, metal-air batteries, and lithium-ion batteries. He has published 3 book, 9 book chapters and more than 300 peer reviewed journal articles (e.g. Nature Energy, Nature Nanotechnology, Nature Communications, Advanced Materials, Journal of the American Chemical Society, Angewandte Chemie, Energy & Environmental Science) with over 28,000 citations with a H-index of 83 on Google Scholar. He is also listed as inventor over 30 US/international patents, with several licensed to companies internationally.
His research activities are currently supported by a large and highly integrated team, comprising over 30 research associate/postdoctoral fellows and 30 graduate students. In addition, Dr. Chen has already trained more than 80 others through his research program, totaling over 100 highly qualified personnel in all.
Dr. Chen is actively collaborating with industries and government labs such as Ballard Power Systems, General Motors, and Canadian Solar. He was the recipient of the 2016 E.W.R Steacie Memorial Fellowship, the member of the Royal Society of Canada’s College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists in 2016, the fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering in 2017, the Rutherford memorial medal from The Royal Society of Canada in 2017, which followed shortly upon several other prestigious honors, including the Ontario Early Researcher Award, an NSERC Discovery Supplement Award, the Distinguished Performance and Research Award. In 2018 and 2019, Dr. Chen was ranked as the Global Highly Cited Researchers by Clarivate Analytics. He was elected as Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 2019.
- Fuel Cell
- Proton Exchange Membrane
- Core Shell
- Carbon Nanotubes
- Metal Nanotubes
- Nanocomposite Membranes
- Water Purification
- Nanostructured Fuel Cell Catalysts
- Nanostructured Materials
- Advanced Manufacturing
- 2008, Doctorate, Chemical Engineering, University of California, Riverside
- 2002, Master's, Chemical Engineering, East China University of Science and Technology
- 1996, Bachelor's, Materials Science and Engineering, Nanjing University of Technology
- NE 499 - Special Topics in Nanostructured Materials
- Taught in 2015
- CHE 750 - Special Topics in Electrochemical Engineering, Interfacial Engineering & Materials Science
- Taught in 2018
- Niu, Yue and Xiao, Meiling and Zhu, Jianbing and Zeng, Taotao and Li, Jingde and Zhang, Wenyao and Su, Dong and Yu, Aiping and Chen, Zhongwei, A" trimurti" heterostructured hybrid with an intimate CoO/Co x P interface as a robust bifunctional air electrode for rechargeable Zn--air batteries, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 8(18), 2020, 9177 - 9184
- Chen, Zhongwei, Water balancing, Nature Energy, 5(1), 2020, 12 - 13
- Li, Gaoran and Lu, Fei and Dou, Xiaoyuan and Wang, Xin and Luo, Dan and Sun, Hao and Yu, Aiping and Chen, Zhongwei, Polysulfide Regulation by the Zwitterionic Barrier toward Durable Lithium--Sulfur Batteries, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 142(7), 2020, 3583 - 3592
- Tian, Yuan and Li, Gaoran and Zhang, Yongguang and Luo, Dan and Wang, Xin and Zhao, Yan and Liu, Hui and Ji, Puguang and Du, Xiaohang and Li, Jingde and others, Low-Bandgap Se-Deficient Antimony Selenide as a Multifunctional Polysulfide Barrier toward High-Performance Lithium--Sulfur Batteries, Advanced Materials, 32(4), 2020
- Ma, Zhong and Cano, Zachary P and Yu, Aiping and Chen, Zhongwei and Jiang, Gaopeng and Fu, Xiaogang and Yang, Lin and Wu, Tianpin and Bai, Zhengyu and Lu, Jun, Enhancing Oxygen Reduction Activity of Pt-based Electrocatalysts: from Theoretical Mechanisms to Practical Methods, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2020
- Xiao, Meiling and Zhu, Jianbing and Li, Gaoran and Li, Na and Li, Shuang and Cano, Zachary Paul and Ma, Lu and Cui, Peixin and Xu, Pan and Jiang, Gaopeng and others, Rücktitelbild: A Single-Atom Iridium Heterogeneous Catalyst in Oxygen Reduction Reaction (Angew. Chem. 28/2019), Angewandte Chemie, 131(28), 2019, 9750 - 9750
- Chen, Huifeng and Bai, Zhengyu and Dai, Xianqi and Zeng, Xiaoqiao and Cano, Zachary P and Xie, Xiaoxiao and Zhao, Mingyu and Li, Matthew and Wang, He and Chen, Zhongwei and others, In Situ Engineering of Intracellular Hemoglobin for Implantable High-Performance Biofuel Cells, Angewandte Chemie, 131(20), 2019, 6735 - 6740
- Jiang, Yi and Deng, Ya-Ping and Fu, Jing and Lee, Dong Un and Liang, Ruilin and Cano, Zachary Paul and Liu, Yangshuai and Bai, Zhengyu and Hwang, Sooyeon and Yang, Lin and others, Interpenetrating triphase cobalt-based nanocomposites as efficient bifunctional oxygen electrocatalysts for long-lasting rechargeable Zn--air batteries, Advanced Energy Materials, 8(15), 2018
- Li, Ge and Wang, Xiaolei and Seo, Min Ho and Li, Matthew and Ma, Lu and Yuan, Yifei and Wu, Tianpin and Yu, Aiping and Wang, Shun and Lu, Jun and others, Chemisorption of polysulfides through redox reactions with organic molecules for lithium--sulfur batteries, Nature communications, 9(1), 2018, 1 - 10
- Cano, Zachary P and Banham, Dustin and Ye, Siyu and Hintennach, Andreas and Lu, Jun and Fowler, Michael and Chen, Zhongwei, Batteries and fuel cells for emerging electric vehicle markets, Nature Energy, 3(4), 2018, 279 - 289