Frequently asked questions

I don’t have a BA in Classics, can I still apply?

You are still eligible to apply for the program, as long as you have an appropriate background in research methods and language proficiency relating to the study of the ancient world.  A program of appropriate preparatory studies (qualifying year) may be required.  Students are expected to submit a statement of research interests.

Is there a travel/foreign study component?

Several faculty members maintain active links with international organizations (e.g., the Canadian Institute in Greece, the American School of Classical Studies at Athens).  Graduate students are expected to be active members of the scholarly community by attending and contributing to international conferences in their chosen specialty.

When can I start the program?

The program begins in the Fall term of each academic year (i.e., September).

What facilities are available for graduate study and research?

The Tri-University Group of libraries (Waterloo, Laurier and Guelph) offer common lending and delivery policies.  Students have access to around 8.5 million electronic and print items through this system.  Electronic databases that support advanced research are also accessible (e.g., JSTOR, Patrologia Latina, ITER, L’Année Philologique).  In addition, the departmental library at Waterloo contains a collection of 2,000 volumes, including the Victor J. Matthews collection in Greek history. 

At Waterloo, there is a lounge available for use for all students in the department which includes the following amenities: computer with web access, coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, and friendly faces.

What is the housing situation and the cost of living like in Waterloo?

There is plenty of student housing available in Waterloo if you act early.  The university operates a residence especially for graduate students that provides a single room with shared bathroom and kitchen facilities; we also have Columbia Lake Village, a new graduate student housing complex with townhouses for families or student groups. There is off-campus housing as well.  We strongly suggest you secure housing as soon as you know you've been accepted into the program. Visit the UW housing pages for all the information.

I have not followed any courses in Greek or Latin, what do you advise?

If your research interests or plans for future studies would benefit from you knowing Greek and/or Latin, we recommend that you consider enrolling in Latin 602 or Greek 602. These are first-year level courses, with additional, advanced-level interpretation of texts. If you are doing the thesis stream, these courses cannot be counted towards fulfilling the degree requirements, but they will appear on transcripts as MA-level courses. If you are doing the MRP stream, up to 2 of the 6 one-term graduate courses can be substituted with GRK 602 and LAT 602.  See calendar for more information - Master of Arts (MA) in Classical Studies | Graduate Studies Academic Calendar | University of Waterloo (