Paul Guild is a Professor in the Department of Management Sciences, and director of the Institute for Innovation Research at the University of Waterloo.
He was previously the Vice-President of University Research from 2001 to 2005. Additionally from 1990 to 2001, Professor Guild held an industrial research chair in the Management of Technological Innovation, with sponsorship from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, Nortel, CIBC, as well as many others. From 1979-1990, he was director of Design Interpretive, Bell-Northern Research in Ottawa.
His research is geared towards discovering approaches for knowledge transfer, open innovation, technology intelligence and planning, and entrepreneurship. Professor Guild also has analyzed ways to reduce the time it takes to formulate ideas for technologically advanced products and services that can be successfully marketed. His recent research examines approaches to the commercialization of results of publicly funded research.
- Knowledge Transfer
- Open Innovation
- Technology Intelligence and Planning
- Assessment of 'Business Worthiness'
- Advanced Telecommunications Technologies
- Computing Technologies
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- New Product Concept Formulation
- Knowledge Communities
- 1978, Doctorate, Experimental Social Psychology, University of Oxford
- 1973, Master's, Social Psychology, Carleton University
- 1971, Bachelor's, Psychology, University of Waterloo
- de León, Enrique Díaz and Guild, Paul, 14 Using repertory grid to assess intangibles: uncertainty reduction for lean start-ups in entrepreneurship, Handbook of Qualitative Research Techniques and Analysis in Entrepreneurship, 2015
- Alam, M Shahedul and Guild, Paul and Sparkes, Douglas, Technology-scanning Capability-A Scale to Measure Firms’ Ability to Sense or Respond to Changing Technology Landscape, Available at SSRN 2273229, 2013
- Alam, M Shahedul and Guild, Paul and Sparkes, Douglas, Market-Scanning Capability--A Scale to Measure Firms’ Ability to Sense or Respond to the Changes in the Marketplace, International Journal of Business and Management, 8(4), 2013
- Alam, M Shahedul and Guild, Paul D and Sparkes, Douglas, Technology-scanning Capability-A Scale to Measure Firms, International Journal of Advances in Management Science, 2(2), 2013, 68 - 82
- Alam, M.A., Guild, P.D. and Sparkes, D.I. (2013) "Technology-Scanning Capability - A Scale To Measure Firms’ Ability To Sense Or Respond To Changing Technology Landscape", International Journal of Advances in Management Science 2(2), 68-82. (Accepted in 2012)
- Shah, M. U., and Guild, P. D. How ICT-Sector Firms are Perceived to Respond to Business-Stakeholder Engagement Models. In Academy of Management Proceedings (Vol. 2016, No. 1, p. 16268). Academy of Management. (Accepted in 2016)
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.