Steven Waslander is an Assistant Professor in the Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering department, and the Director of the Waterloo Autonomous Vehicles Laboratory (WAVELab).
His research interests lie in the areas of autonomous aerial and ground vehicles, simultaneous localization and mapping, nonlinear estimation and control, and multi-vehicle systems.
Professor Waslander currently collaborates with Aeryon Labs, Clearpath Robotics, and Nuvation, and is a member of the NSERC Canadian Field Robotics Network. He also acts as the academic advisor to the University of Waterloo Robotics Team and the University of Waterloo Micro Air Vehicle Team, which both compete in a large number of competitions such as the NASA Sample Return Robot Challenge, the Intelligent Ground Vehicle Competition, the International Autonomous Robot Racing competition and the International Micro-Air Vehicle competition.
For more information: https://autonomous.uwaterloo.ca/waslander/
- Advanced robotics
- Autonomous vehicles
- Transportation networks
- Big data/analytics
- Embedded systems
- Information systems
- Sensors and devices
- Ph.D., Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University (2007)
- M.S., Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University (2002)
- B.Sc.E, Applied Mathematics and Mechanical Engineering, Queen’s University (1998)
- ME 360 - Introduction to Control Systems
- ME 561 - Fluid Power Systems
- ME 597/ME 780 - Autonomous Mobile Robotics
- ME 262 - Digital Logic and Microprocessors
- Chen, P. and Waslander, S. L., “Real-Time 3D Motion Planning for Small Holonomic UAVs,”, in Proceedings of the AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference and Exhibit, Toronto, ON, Canada, August, 2010.
- Gariepy, R. and Waslander, S. L., “UAV Motion Estimation Using Low Quality Image Features,”, in Proceedings of the AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference and Exhibit, Toronto, ON, Canada, August, 2010.
- Waslander, Steven L., Multi-Agent System Design for Aerospace Applications, VDM: Verlag Dr. Muller, ISBN-13: 978-3639098761, 196 pgs, November, 2008.
- Steven L. Waslander, Kaushik Roy, Ramesh Johari, and Claire J. Tomlin. Lump sum markets for air traffic flow control with competitive airlines. IEEE Special Issue on Aviation Information Systems, 96(12):2113-2130, December 2008.
- Steven L. Waslander, Robin L. Raffard, and Claire J. Tomlin. Market-based air traffic flow control with competing airlines. AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, 31(1):148-161, January-February 2008.
- Michael Vitus, Vijay Pradeep, Gabriel Hoffmann, Steven L. Waslander, and Claire J. Tomlin. Tunnel-MILP: Path planning with sequential convex polytopes. In Proceedings of the 2008 AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference and Exhibit, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, (2008).
- Gabriel Hoffmann, Haomiao Huang, Steven Waslander, and Claire J. Tomlin. Quadrotor helicopter flight dynamics and control: Theory and experiment. In Proceedings of the AIAA Conference on Guidance, Navigation and Control, Hilton Head, South Carolina, August (2007).