Carolyn Hansson is a Professor in the department of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering and cross-appointed to the department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. She is the Associate Editor for Cement and Concrete Research, Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering, Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, Fellow of the American Concrete Institute, Fellow of the Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (US), and Fellow of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (UK). Professor Hansson is also a member of the Executive Committee of the Board of Governors of Acta Materialia and was appointed as Executive Secretary in 2014.
Her research interests include durability of construction materials, corrosion and electrochemical techniques. Professor Hansson studies the corrosion of steel inside concrete, and techniques for measuring the amount of corrosion. These techniques include electrical metres that look for rust indirectly by measuring the current in the iron and acoustic monitors that listen for the ping of cables snapping within bridges. She is also studying rust-resistant reinforcing materials, such as stainless steel. This research is important to maintaining the integrity of structures.
- Materials science and engineering
- Durability of materials
- Cement and concrete
- Reinforcing bar corrosion
- Electrochemical corrosion testing
- 1966, Doctorate, Metallurgical Engineering, Imperial College, London University
- 1962, Bachelor's, Metallurgical Engineeering, Imperial College, London University
- BME 282 - Materials Sci for Biomed Eng
- Taught in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- ME 731 - Corrosion & Oxidation
- Taught in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Hansson, CM, Corrosion of stainless steel in concrete, Corrosion of Steel in Concrete Structures, 2016
- Hansson, CM, An introduction to corrosion of engineering materials, Corrosion of Steel in Concrete Structures, 2016
- Van Niejenhuis, CB and Walbridge, S and Hansson, CM, The performance of austenitic and duplex stainless steels in cracked concrete exposed to concentrated chloride brine, Journal of Materials Science, 51(1), 2016, 362 - 374
- Van Niejenhuis, CB and Bandura, TW and Hansson, CM, Evaluation of the proposed European test procedure for ranking stainless steel rebar, Corrosion, 72(6), 2016, 834 - 842
- Hunt, MJ and Hansson, CM, The Influence of the Cations in Anti-Icing Brines on the Corrosion of Reinforcing Steel in Synthetic Concrete Pore Solution, Corrosion, 71(6), 2015, 749 - 757
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.