David C. Weckman is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering and the Welding & Joining Specialization Program Coordinator at the University of Waterloo. In addition to being the Associate Chair for Undergraduate Studies, he is also a part of the Centre for Advanced Materials Joining.
His research interests are in arc welding processes, laser welding and laser materials processing, and numerical modelling of thermofluids phenomena in fusion welding processes.
Professor Weckman, in conjunction with other authors, has taken part in several memorable publications. The 2007 Discontinuous Weld Bead Defect paper received the 2008 AWS Charles H. Jennings Memorial Award and was considered the most valuable paper in the 2007 Welding Journal. Similarly, the Double-Sided Arc Welding paper won the 2011 AWS Charles H. Jennings Memorial Award and was the most valuable paper in the Welding Journal in 2010. Professor Weckman, along with several other authors, also published Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Laser Brazed Magnesium to Coated Steel Sheet, which won the 2012 AWS Robert L. Peaslee Memorial Award. The paper was the best contribution to the science and technology of brazing to be published in the Welding Journal in 2011.
- Arc Welding Processes
- Laser Welding Processes
- Thermofluids Modelling of Fusion Welds
- Microstructural Modelling of Welds
- 1983, Doctorate, Mechanical Engineering, University of Waterloo
- 1978, Master's, Mechanical Engineering, University of Waterloo
- 1976, Bachelor's, Mechanical Engineering, University of Waterloo
- ME 340 - Manufacturing Processes
- Taught in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- ME 436 - Welding and Joining Processes
- Taught in 2014, 2015
- ME 100B - Seminar
- Taught in 2015, 2016
- Di Ciano, Massimo and Weckman, DC and Wells, MA, Development of an Analog System to Simulate Interface Formation During Fusion™ Casting, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 47(2), 2016, 905 - 919
- Nasiri, AM and Weckman, DC and Zhou, Y, Interfacial Microstructure of Laser Brazed AZ31B Magnesium to SnPlated Steel Sheet, Welding Journal, 2015
- Di Ciano, Massimo and Caron, EJFR and Weckman, DC and Wells, MA, Interface Formation During Fusion™ Casting of AA3003/AA4045 Aluminum Alloy Ingots, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 46(6), 2015, 2674 - 2691
- Yang, Jin and Li, Yulong and Zhang, Hua and Guo, Wei and Weckman, David and Zhou, Norman, Dissimilar Laser Welding/Brazing of 5754 Aluminum Alloy to DP 980 Steel: Mechanical Properties and Interfacial Microstructure, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 46(11), 2015, 5149 - 5157
- Caron, Etienne JFR and Pelayo, Rosa E Ortega and Baserinia, Amir R and Wells, Mary A and Weckman, David C and Barker, Simon and Gallerneault, Mark, Direct-Chill Co-Casting of AA3003/AA4045 Aluminum Ingots via Fusion™ Technology, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 45(3), 2014, 975 - 987