Feridun Hamdullahpur, the University of Waterloo's president and vice-chancellor, has been an engineer, educator and leader over the span of his career in research and higher education. He has served as the sixth president and vice-chancellor of the University of Waterloo since 2010.
A professor of mechanical engineering, President Hamdullahpur holds a PhD in chemical engineering from the Technical University of Nova Scotia after earning bachelor’s and master’s degrees in mechanical engineering from the Technical University of Istanbul.
Throughout his career, President Hamdullahpur has been an active researcher in thermo-fluids and energy engineering, a passionate teacher and an academic administrator. He has authored hundreds of scientific and academic publications and supervised over 50 graduate students. He was named a Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering in 2014. He has served in various academic and administrative roles, including as a vice-president academic and provost at the University of Waterloo.
President Hamdullahpur was named a Specially Elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada (RSC) in 2018. This designation recognizes individuals who have made exceptionally valuable contributions to promoting the objectives of the RSC in ways that contribute significantly to Canadian society.
In acknowledgment of President Hamdullahpur’s leadership in education and innovation, he was awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal in January 2013.
- Energy Conversion Systems
- Fluidized Beds: Hydrodynamics and Combustion
- Hydrodynamics of Gas-solid Two-Phase Flow Systems
- Cyclone Modeling
- Fluidized Bed Drying
- Fluidized Bed gasification of Bio-mass
- Solid Oxide Fuel Cells
- 1985, Doctorate, Chemical Engineering, Technical University of Nova Scotia
- 1979, Master of Science, Mechanical Engineering, Istanbul Technical University
- 1976, Bachelor of Science (BSc), Mechanical Engineering, Istanbul Technical University
- Ouellette, David and Colpan, C Ozgur and Matida, Edgar and Cruickshank, Cynthia A and Hamdullahpur, Feridun, A comprehensive 1D model of a flowing electrolyte-direct methanol fuel cell with experimental validation, International Journal of Energy Research, 39(1), 2015, 33 - 45
- Herdem, Münür Sacit and Farhad, Siamak and Hamdullahpur, Feridun, Modeling and parametric study of a methanol reformate gas-fueled HT-PEMFC system for portable power generation applications, Energy Conversion and Management, 101, 2015, 19 - 29
- Herdem, Münür Sacit and Farhad, Siamak and Dincer, Ibrahim and Hamdullahpur, Feridun, Thermodynamic modeling and assessment of a combined coal gasification and alkaline water electrolysis system for hydrogen production, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 39(7), 2014, 3061 - 3071
- Zarrin, Hadis and Farhad, Siamak and Hamdullahpur, Feridun and Chabot, Victor and Yu, Aiping and Fowler, Michael and Chen, Zhongwei, Effects of diffusive charge transfer and salt concentration gradient in electrolyte on Li-ion battery energy and power densities, Electrochimica Acta, 125, 2014, 117 - 123
- Younessi-Sinaki, Maryam and Hamdullahpur, Feridun, Numerical investigation on the number of active surface sites of carbon catalysts in the decomposition of methane, AIChE Journal, 60(6), 2014, 2228 - 2234