HJ Kwon is an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering at the University of Waterloo.
His research topics include Elastography, Ultrasond Forming, Biomechanics, Fatigue and Fracture.
Elastography is a non-invasive testing method that measures the deformations of tissues using ultrasound to detect and classify tumourous lesions. Professor Kwon’s elastography research group is developing a new phase-based algorithm that has much better diagnostic performance and a protable ultrasound device that can display the elastogram on an i-pad or a tab.
His research group is also developing a new ultrasound micro forming device that can modify the surface of the material in microscopic to nanoscopic level. The modified surface is designed to have improved durability (micro peening) for weight reduction as well as wetting property (hydrophobicity) of the surface.
The research team is also developing methods to test the fracture toughness and fatigue properties of engineering and biological materials based on fracture and fatigue mechanics theories, such as Stress Intensity Factor, J-Integral, EWF Concept, and Stress- and Strain-Based Fatigue Analysis.
Bio-mechanics research aims to understand biologic systems through mechanics, develop non-invasive in vivo testing for live cells and organs, and establish a bridge between mechanical and biomedical engineering. Professor Kwon’s bio-mechanics-focused research projects include the “Measurement of the Cell-Induced Force in 3D Space” and “Development of Hybrid Hydrogel for Biomedical Application”.
- cell traction force measurement
- mechanical measurement using optical technique
- digital Image correlation
- multi-photon microscopy
- optical tweezers
- Advanced Materials Joining
- Biomechanics and Biotechnology
- Constitutive modeling of soft bio-polymers
- Viscous fracture of soft materials
- Fatigue and Fracture
- 2007, Doctorate, Mechanical Engineering, University of Alberta
- 2003, Master's, Mechanical Engineering, University of Alberta
- 1988, Master's, Mechanical Engineering, KAIST
- 1985, Bachelor's, Mechanical and Design Engineering, Seoul Natiional University
- Moslem Sadeghi-Goughari, Soo Jeon, Hyock-Ju Kwon, Fluid Structure Interaction of Cantilever Micro and Nanotubes Conveying Magnetic Fluid with Small Size Effects Under a Transverse Magnetic Field, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 94(2020), 2020, 102951 - 11
- Moslem Sadeghi-Goughari, Soo Jeon, Hyock-Ju Kwon, Analytical and Numerical Model of High Intensity Focused Ultrasound Enhanced with Nanoparticles, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 67(12), 2020, 3083 - 3093
- Moslem Sadeghi-Goughari, Soo Jeon, Hyock-Ju Kwon, Magnetic Nanoparticles-Enhanced Focused Ultrasound Heating: Size Effect, Mechanism, and Performance Analysis, Nanotechnology, 31(24), 2020
- Yanjun Qian, Sang‐Wook Han, Hyock‐Ju Kwon, Design of an Ultrasonic Concentrator for Vibro‐Tactile Sensors Using Electro‐Mechanical Analogy, International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, 20(10), 2019, 1787 - 1800
- Moslem Sadeghi-Goughari, Soo Jeon and Hyock-Ju Kwon, Enhancing Thermal Effect of Focused Ultrasound Therapy Using Gold Nanoparticles, IEEE Transactions on NanoBioscience, 18(4), 2019, 661 - 668
- Yanjun Qian, Armaghan Salehian, Sang-Wook Han, Hyock-Ju Kwon, Design of an Ultrasonic Tactile Sensor Using Electro-mechanical Analogy, Ultrasonics, 105(2020), 2020, 106129 - 11
- Moslem Sadeghi-Goughari, Soo Jeon, Hyock-Ju Kwon, Flutter instability of cantilevered carbon nanotubes caused by magnetic fluid flow subjected to a longitudinal magnetic field, Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, 98(2018), 2018, 184 - 190
- Moslem Sadeghi-Goughari, Yanjun Qian, Soo Jeon, Sohrab Sadeghi and Hyock-Ju Kwon, An Experimental and Numerical Study on Tactile Neuroimaging: A Novel Minimally Invasive Technique for Intraoperative Brain Imaging, The International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, 14(2), 2018
- Moslem Sadeghi-Goughari, Soo Jeon and Hyock-Ju Kwon, Effects of Magnetic-Fluid Flow on Structural Instability of a Carbon Nanotube Conveying Nanoflow under a Longitudinal Magnetic Field, Physics Letters A, 381(35), 2018, 2898 - 2905
- Bonghun Shin, Soo Jeon, Jeongwon Ryu and Hyock Ju Kwon, Elastography for Portable Ultrasound, Biomedical Engineering Letters, 8(1), 2018, 101 - 116
- Bonghun Shin, Soo Jeon, Jeongwon Ryu and Hyock-Ju Kwon, Compressed Sensing for Elastography in Portable Ultrasound, Ultrasonic Imaging, 39(6), 2017, 393 - 413
- Shin, Bonghun and Gopaul, Darindra and Fienberg, Samantha and Kwon, Hyock Ju, Application of Eshelby’s Solution to Elastography for Diagnosis of Breast Cancer, Ultrasonic imaging, 38(2), 2016, 115 - 136
- Rogalsky, Allan and Kwon, Hyock Ju and Lee-Sullivan, Pearl, The Rheological Injectability of N-succinyl-chitosan Solutions, Carbohydrate Polymers, 2016
- Shin, Bonghun and Kwon, Hyock-Ju and Han, Sang-Wook and Im, Chang Min, Fatigue life estimation of vertical probe needle for wafer probing, International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, 16(12), 2015, 2509 - 2515
- Jeong-woo Han, Soo Jeon, Hyock Ju Kwon, IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, 07 2019, Hong Kong, 1586 - 1591
- Hyock Ju Kwon, Bonghun Shin, Ultrasound Elastography, Encyclopedia of Biomedical Engineering, Roger Narayan, , 613 manuscript pages