May 2020 update
- Check out this list of activities to keep you busy.
Welcome! The Wellness Team at Renison University College is comprised of two Student Services Counsellors and a Chaplain. We aim to create a positive, healthy community, which is responsive to the needs of students. We provide one-on-one services to students, lead wellness programs, and provide consultation and training for students, faculty, and staff.
In each of our roles, we are able to collaborate with students to seek to enhance greater well-being.
|Start counselling||Urgent support options|
|Connect with counsellor Reta||Connect with counsellor Jannah|
|Connect with chaplain Megan||Wellness events|
Programs and services
We focus on student well-being at Renison. Our staff includes a team of Student Services Counsellors.
Student Services Counsellors provide counselling and psychotherapy services for students who meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Students who live in residence at Renison University College.
- Students who are enrolled in major programs offered here: Social Development Studies students, Bachelor of Social Work students, and Master of Social Work students
- Students who are enrolled in minor programs offered here: East Asian Studies, Applied Language Studies, and Studies in Islam
- Students who are enrolled in programs offered by the English Language Institute (ELI)
- Students who are enrolled in the English For Multilingual Speakers (EMLS) program
- Students who are enrolled in courses of these programs and who are registered at Renison University College
Please note that at this time, our residence is closed and counselling and psychotherapy services are remote.
Students need to meet one of the above criteria (#2 - 6) and also live in Ontario to be eligible for counselling and psychotherapy services.
Using an anti-oppressive, culturally-sensitive, and holistic framework, we aim to help students overcome the challenges they face. We believe that everyone has strengths to navigate challenges. We assist students experiencing a wide variety of life difficulties and mental health issues and offer a range of treatment approaches.
Types of support from Student Services Counsellors include:
Counselling and psychotherapy services - Students are able to receive up to 4 free sessions each academic term.
To begin participation in them, students are asked to contact a Student Services Counsellor to schedule an intake or registration meeting. Please click on the names below.
Wellness programs - Programs are held throughout fall and winter academic terms to promote student well-being and build a community for support. To learn about current programs, please visit: https://www.facebook.com/groups/studentwellnessatrenison/
Education - Workshops and consultations are offered for students, peer leaders, staff, and faculty.
Referrals - Referrals are made to services on campus and in the community
- If this is an emergency, please call 911 or go to your local emergency facility.
- For urgent care on campus, please call UW Police Services at 519-888-4911.
- In case of a crisis, please call a 24-hour line:
- In the Region of Waterloo: Here 24/7 - Dial 1-844-437-3247 or 519-821-3582
- In Canada: Crisis Service Canada - Dial 1-833-456-4566
The Ven. Megan Collings-Moore is an Anglican priest and is responsible for the spiritual and pastoral care for the college, as well as the wider university.
Spiritual care includes:
- offering worship services
- acting as a spiritual director
- helping students and staff ask faith questions
- valuing our spiritual lives
Pastoral care includes:
- being a listening ear
- a 'safe' person to talk to
- supporting people as they live through life's struggles
- connecting people to other resources when necessary
To find out more, visit the Ministry Centre.
Meet our student services counsellors
519-884-4404 x 28736
Room: REN 2303
Education: Specialized Honours B.A. in Psychology and a Certificate of Advanced French Language Proficiency, York University
M.S.W. with a concentration in Individuals, Families, and Groups, Wilfrid Laurier University
Interests: music, art, international cuisine, nature, community development
Quote to live by:
“It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
519-884-4404 x 28616
Room: REN 2304A
Education: BA in Peace & Conflict Studies, Mount Allison University
MA in Community Counselling, Appalachian State University
Addictions Certificate, Wilfrid Laurier University; Certificate in Expressive Arts, Appalachian State
Interests: paddle boarding, being in the woods & on water, enjoying friends & family including my two energetic kids, great novels, homemade food & Renison flash mobs
Quote to live by:
“More than anything else, we want to love and be loved.” - Gerald J & Elisabeth Jud
Meet our Chaplain
519-884-4404 Ext. 28604
Room: REN 1108 (Ministry Centre)
Education: B.A. Philosophy, Trent University
M.Div. Huron University College
Interests: Hiking, art (including sketching and oil painting), story-telling, religious humour, good food & drink
Quote to live by:
“The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.” - Frederick Buechner