Lead the change. Shape a greener future.
The only one of its kind in Canada, the SFM program is strategically designed to meet current and growing labour market demands in the fields of sustainable finance and accounting.
Globally, we’re seeing a growing connection between environmental issues and corporate interests. Today’s investors, businesses, and governments care about sustainability as well as dollars and cents.
Sustainable finance is giving rise to a greener future while moving away from the limited approaches of the past. There’s value in aligning environmental responsibility with profits, using environmental, social, and governance reporting to drive policy- and decision-making for long-term success.
That means demand for a new breed of green financial experts.
Are you ready to lead the way? As an SFM student, you’ll learn how to step up, drive change, and align people, profits, and the planet to shape a brighter and greener future by:
- Developing your entrepreneurial mindset to become an expert in all stages of business.
- Training to be a critically minded professional through team and problem-based learning to tackle wicked sustainability problems facing society.
- Polishing your eco-warrior expertise in industrial ecology, environmental management systems, and social marketing to integrate sustainability into business practices.
- Building your analytical prowess by learning how to apply, select, analyze, and effectively interpret data.
- Gaining the know-how to become business savvy by learning how technology impacts businesses to successfully leverage it.
- Strengthening your people skills outside of the classroom by participating in workshops, tutorials, conferences, and competitions.
By the time you graduate, you'll have the unique mindset and financial expertise to drive digital transformation, reimagine greener businesses, and advance social, environmental, and economic impact.
Young people have the ability to see the world in different ways, and we can’t solve the biggest challenges in our society without them.
That’s a message I believe in wholeheartedly, and one of many I shared with colleagues, partners and community members as RBC announced a combined $3.5 million donation over five years to the University of Waterloo, Wilfred Laurier University and Conestoga College
Future SFM students
Recent SFM publications
Canada’s first degree to merge sustainability and financial management now on offer
The program will prepare a new generation of accounting and finance professionals to lead businesses through an era of environmental sustainability
Student’s social venture empowers everyone to reduce waste
Part environmental movement, part budding social enterprise, PickWaste works to raise awareness about environmental issues and empower people to take action.