To: Faculty and Staff
From: Nadia Singh, Associate University Secretary, Secretariat
Subject: Revisions to Policy 34 - Health, Safety and Environment
Date: 14 November 2016
The University’s Policy 34 – Health, Safety and Environment has been updated, as required by legislation.
The Policy was last revised in October of 2015, at which time consultation occurred with the Joint Health & Safety Committee and all of the University’s relations committees. The following pieces of feedback were incorporated:
- clarifying the student/supervisor role while a student is conducting research under the direct supervision of a University employee (s. 6.3.8);
- clarity around responsibilities for environmental protection (s. 6.4.7); and
- the definition of “supervisor” was added.
As part of this year’s review, the Policy was reviewed for clarity and currency to existing legislation. Of note:
- s. 6.2.1 clarifies that scope is limited to contraventions of the Occupational Health & Safety Act (the “Act”); and
- s. 6.2.3 was removed as it no longer reflects the reporting relationship to the Provost, now that a functional Senior Management Health & Safety Committee is in place, which receives University level health and safety concerns.
Consultation was held with the University’s four Joint Health & Safety Committees through the fall of 2016.
The updated Policy can be found here: https://uwaterloo.ca/secretariat-general-counsel/policies-procedures-guidelines/policy-34