The core functions of the Secretariat are:
- secretariat support for the Board of Governors and its committees, Senate and its committees and councils, and a number of university-wide committees
- preservation of corporate memory with respect to Board, Senate and executive decision-making
- freedom of information and protection of privacy
- management of the internal audit function at the university
- supervision of the process of policy development and renewal
- coordination of the risk management program at the university
Read more about secretariat activities
The department, under the leadership of and with the active participation of the University Secretary, provides essential secretarial and administrative support for the governing bodies (Senate and Board of Governors and their committees/councils) and for other university wide committees (standing and ad hoc), task forces, and entities which are not subsets of Senate or Board.
The department also carries out special projects as required.
Activities and responsibilities include:
- planning meetings; guiding committee/council/Senate/Board tasks to completion.
- coordinating and administering various elections (the University Secretary serves as the university's chief electoral officer in accordance with Senate Bylaw 5 and Board Bylaw 1).
- ensuring that grievance and appeal proceedings at the university level follow the precepts of natural justice.
- supporting nominating committees (Chancellor; President; Vice-President, Academic & Provost; Vice-Presidents; Deans).
- maintaining and distributing Board and Senate bylaws and university policies, procedures and organizational charts; issuing the Board of Governors Handbook.
- provides Notary Public services for University of Waterloo faculty, staff and students for university-related matters.