Dealing with Academic Integrity cases

Academic Integrity

In order to maintain a culture of academic integrity, members of the University of Waterloo community are expected to promote honesty, trust, fairness, respect and responsibility.

Process for dealing with a suspected case of cheating

The full procedure is outlined by the University, however to summarize:

  • You can informally resolve the offence with the student. You should either e-mail or meet with the individual students instead of communicating with the suspected group together. In particular, this would violate Policy 46, Principles and Practices regarding privacy and confidentiality. The proposed resolution may not have a penalty that exceeds a reduction in course grade and disciplinary probation.
  • It is highly recommended you formally resolve the offence by letting the Academic Integrity Office for Math investigate and resolve the issue. You should include the student's information, a brief description of the situation with any relevant/supporting documentation, and if you contacted/discussed with the student. If you go through the AI office you do not have to notify the student, they will contact the student for further investigation.

For typical penalties check Guidelines for the Assessment of Penalties.


A student is expected to know what constitutes academic integrity to avoid committing academic offences and to take responsibility for their actions. A student who is unsure whether an action constitutes an offence, or who needs help in learning how to avoid offences (e.g., plagiarism, cheating) or about “rules” for group work/collaboration should seek guidance from the course professor, academic advisor, or the undergraduate associate dean. For information on categories of offences and types of penalties, students should refer to Policy 71.


A decision made or penalty imposed under Policy 70, Student Petitions and Grievances (other than a petition) or Policy 71, Student Discipline may be appealed if there is a ground. A student who believes they have a ground for an appeal should refer to Policy 72, Student Appeals.