University of Waterloo
Engineering 5 (E5), 6th Floor
Phone: 519-888-4567 ext.32600
GSPA COVID-19 Updates
The GSPA COVID-19 Updates for Graduate Students web page contains guidance and information specific to graduate studies and is updated regularly as the situation evolves.
EGSO COVID-19 Guidelines
The SYDE Graduate Studies Office remains closed for in-person service during the Spring 2021 term and we are working remotely. Please check back regularly for updates.
Convocation is the culmination of years of your hard work, passion and commitment. Get more information about the convocation as we respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.
All forms and email inquiries must be submitted by email to the appropriate program contact listed below, for processing. If you are submitting a form, including theses and comp exam/defence booking requests, please refer to the EGSO COVID-19 Operating Guidelines for instructions on electronic submission, approvals, etc.
We are working to respond to and process requests as quickly as possible and request that you allow 3-5 business days after your submission/email before sending further emails due the higher volume of incoming emails. Our business days for operations are Monday through Friday, excluding holidays where the University is closed.
We are also working to update our departmental current graduate student web pages to provide further guidance and assistance. Please check back regularly for updates.
Department graduate office contacts
When contacting members of the SYDE Graduate Studies Office please use your UWaterloo e-mail address if you are a current student at the University of Waterloo.
We request that you include your name as shown on Quest and 8-digit student identification number in your message to prevent delays in response and/or processing times so we can easily access your record.
Jackie Leach - MASc and PhD programs (including GRS and award payments)
Graduate Administrative Coordinator
Jeannette Friend - MEng program
Graduate Studies Assistant
Professor and Associate Chair of Graduate Studies
Academic requirements and resources
The sections below contain links to helpful information and processes for current and new students to follow, specific to the graduate programs in Systems Design Engineering.
Questions regarding graduate program matters should be directed to the contact noted above for your program.
Academic and seminar requirements
- Degree Requirements (listed by program in the Academic Calendar)
- Grades and Grading Regulations
- Steps to Graduate
- PhD Comprehensive Examination
- PhD Degree Completion/PhD Oral Defense
- MASc Thesis and Degree Completion
- Seminar (MASc and PhD Milestone) Policy & Procedure
- Declare MEng Graduate Specialization
Courses, reports and forms
- SYDE 600, 700 Level Graduate Course List
- Activity Reports - please wait to submit activty reports again until further notice from the SYDE Graduate Studies Office; we are working to update the system an email will be sent to students when the system is ready
- SYDE Teaching Assistant (TA) Time Allocation form - Must be completed by all students assigned to a TA position for a SYDE or BME course after accepting the TA position offer.