Murray Moo-Young is a distinguished professor emeritus in the Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Waterloo. He received BSc and PhD degrees from University of London, an MASc from University of Toronto, and postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Edinburgh. His prestigious credentials include the premier awards of the American Chemical Society, Biochemical Technology Division; and the Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering. In addition, he is an elected fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (FAIME), one of the highest honors for a bioengineer and the Royal Society of Canada (FRSC), the highest accolade for a Canadian scholar. So far, his work has produced 14 books, 10 patents, and over 365 journal papers. He is the founding editor of the high-impact journal Biotechnology Advances, editor-in-chief of the six-volume major reference work Comprehensive Biotechnology (Elsevier), and founding president of the International Society for Environmental Biotechnology. Murray is a consultant to industry, government, and academia worldwide. His research is directed at biochemical engineering, industrial biotechnology and environmental management.
- Bioprocessing fundamentals and principles
- Bioprocessing applications in biomanufacturing
- Bioprocessing applications in bioremediation
- Fermentation processes
- Bioreactor design and operation
- Bioconversions and recycling
- Westbrook, A., Miscevic, D., Kilpatrick, S., Bruder, M., Moo-Young, M., Chou, P., Strain engineering for microbial production of value-added chemicals and fuels from glycerol, Biotechnology Advances, 2019
- Y. Bai, M. Moo-Young, and W. A. Anderson, A mechanistic model for gas-liquid mass transfer prediction in a rocking disposable bioreactor, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 2019
- Westbrook, A., X. Ren, Jaewon Oh, M. Moo-Young, and C. P. Chou, Metabolic engineering to enhance heterologous production of hyaluronic acid in Bacillus subtilis, Metabolic Engineering, 47, 2018, 401 - 413
- Westbrook, A., X. Ren, M. Moo-Young, and C. P. Chou, Application of hydrocarbon and perfluorocarbon oxygen vectors to enhance heterologous production of hyaluronic acid in engineered Bacillus subtilis, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 115, 2018, 1239 - 1252
- Bustami, Y., Moo-Young, M., & Anderson, W. A. Manipulation of Fe/Au peroxidase-like activity for development of a nanocatalytic-based assay. Journal of Engineering Science, 13, 29-52 (2017)
- K. Srirangan, M. Bruder, L. Akawi, D. Miscevic, S. Kilpatrick, M. Moo-Young, and C. P. Chou, "Recent advances in engineering propionyl-CoA metabolism for microbial production of value-added chemicals and biofuels", Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, 37:6, 701-722 (2017)
- M. E. Pyne, M. Moo-Young, D. A. Chung, and C. P. Chou, "Coupling the CRISPR/Cas9 system to lambda Red recombineering enables simplified chromosomal gene replacement in Escherichia coli", Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 81, 5103-5114 (2015)
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.