We will only consider award applications from students participating in University-approved international travel at this time.
You must adhere to all safety measures as detailed on Waterloo International’s Safety Abroad website.
We are now accepting applications for students going abroad in winter 2024. The application deadline for fall 2023 travel has passed and any applications will not be considered.
About these awards
- Numerous international experience award funds are available to University of Waterloo undergraduate students who participate in an international study, work, or volunteer experience. Award selection and values are based on a variety of factors such as type of experience, destination, financial need, academic success, extracurricular/volunteer involvement, motivation for the experience, etc.
- Award values typically range from $500 up to $2,500, although a small number of funds provide greater support. International experience awards are not intended to fully meet outstanding expenses; rather, to provide some assistance to as many deserving students as possible, based on available award funds.
- Complete this general application form to be considered for the majority of international experience awards listed in the Undergraduate Awards Database, unless a different application is indicated in the award profile. With the exception of awards which require a separate faculty-based form, please only submit one application unless you’re re-submitting with changes.
Note: To apply for the President’s International Experience Award (PIEA), refer to the President’s Upper-Year Award page for instructions. The PIEA is limited to students who received the President’s Scholarship of Distinction in Year One and have met the renewal criteria to claim an upper-year experiential award. You may also complete this form to be considered for other awards.
- These awards are intended to provide support to eligible undergraduate students for upcoming international experiences, not past experiences.
- You must be an active undergraduate student for the duration of the experience. Students who have completed their undergraduate degree requirements are not eligible to apply.
- Graduate students should contact Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs for information on available international experience awards.
Eligible international experiences
The experience must be undertaken outside of Canada at the intended location and must be a minimum of one month in duration. Remote international experiences will not be considered. Eligible experiences include:
- an approved Waterloo study abroad or exchange program
- an approved co-op work term providing low or minimal pay
- a work or volunteer experience by a regular or co-op student
- a placement or study option undertaken to fulfil a University of Waterloo degree or course requirement (e.g., International Development fourth-year placement, Rome Architecture program)
- a volunteer experience which is part of a University of Waterloo sanctioned service-learning program (e.g., Beyond Borders)
- study on an approved letter of permission at a university outside of Canada that does not have an exchange agreement with the University of Waterloo
- summer study program outside of Canada
Apply prior to your departure term by one of the following deadlines:
|Term Abroad||Main Deadline||Late Deadline (limited consideration, see note)|
|Spring||March 15||April 30|
|Fall||July 15||August 31|
|Winter||November 15||December 31|
Note: Late applications will only be considered for co-op work terms if the position was not finalized until after the main award deadline. Consideration of late applications is subject to funding availability. Applications received after the Late Deadline indicated above will not be considered.
Decisions and award payment
- Processing time is approximately four to six weeks following the application deadline.
- Decisions will be emailed to your University of Waterloo email address.
- If successful, the award will first be applied toward any outstanding fees on your Quest account, if applicable. Thereafter the award funds will be deposited to the Canadian bank account you have set up on Quest.
- Complete and submit the application including any required documentation.
- Answer as many of the optional questions on the form as possible to maximize your eligibility for consideration.
Contact Student Awards and Financial Aid if you have questions about specific award requirements, completing the form, or award decisions.