A Proof of Enrolment can be used to:
- verify past, current, and anticipated enrolment;
- demonstrate all degree requirements have been met (or will be) prior to convocation; or
- prove graduation date.
Do not submit a Proof of Enrolment form for requests regarding:
- provincial loan forms - can be submitted via Sendit, see Student Awards and Financial Aid's website for instructions.
- Canada Pension Plan (CPP) forms - can be submitted in person, by email, mail, or fax.
Three types of proof of enrolment documentation
- Self-serve letters (no cost): Can be produced from your Quest account and printed at home. Useful for organizations such as banks, RESP providers, Canada Pension Plan, insurance companies, and employers.
- University-produced letters ($10): We can provide a letter printed on University of Waterloo letterhead with an embossed University seal. Useful for study permits/visas, border crossings, or when the self-serve option cannot incorporate desired/required information.
- Third-party forms ($10, exceptions provided below): We can complete a form from an outside organization (e.g., United Nations forms) with the University seal to verify your enrolment. Upload and attach the third-party form to your online request or submit along with your completed Proof of Enrolment request form by mail or fax.
We offer three options to order your proof of enrolment
- Visit the Registrar's Office during business hours if you require your proof of enrolment immediately.
- Login to our online Proof of Enrolment Request Form; you'll need a University of Waterloo username and password (one to three business days).
- Use our Proof of Enrolment Request Form (pdf) if you do not have a University of Waterloo username and password (one to three business days); see instructions for submitting a PDF form. Request forms with credit card information are not accepted by email.
We process requests daily, Monday to Friday, except when the University is closed.
Why would I need proof of enrolment?
You may need proof or verification of enrolment for:
- Registered Educational Savings Plan (RESP) withdrawals
- Study permit renewals and visa applications (Canada and international)
- Banking purposes (e.g., a line of credit application)
- Insurance purposes
- Benefits (eligibility under a parent's benefit program)
- Job offer, employment screening, and co-op placement
Fees for proof of enrolment requests
Each copy of a letter/form is $10 (includes GST). If you require delivery by courier or fax, additional charges are:
- Courier (in Ontario) - $10
- Courier in other Canadian provinces or Territories - $20
- Courier anywhere in the United States - $25
- International (outside Canada and the United States) - $35
- Fax within Canada - $5
- Fax outside of Canada - $10
If delivery by courier is chosen, a tracking number will be sent to the email address provided.
Picking-up your proof of enrolment letter or third-party form
If you choose to pick up your letter(s)/form(s) you will need to show your WatCard or other valid photo identification. Letters/forms can be picked up from the Registrar's Office, second floor, Needles Hall.
If you need someone else to pick up your letter/form on your behalf, send an email to email@example.com from your University of Waterloo email address providing:
- Your first and last name
- Your student ID number
- The first and last name of the person picking up your letter/form
That person will be required to present photo identification.
I'm starting at Waterloo in September. Can I get my proof of enrolment now?
Welcome to Waterloo! We cannot officially confirm your enrolment and process your request until July (when your class schedule is set) but you can submit your request at any time. We'll hold onto the request until we are able to process it. If indicated on your request, Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) or government requests will be forwarded to the appropriate organization on your behalf.
If you have any questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.