Information for


Mailboxes, student offices and keys

All Kinesiology graduate students are assigned a shared mailbox on the third floor of B.C. Matthews Hall (BMH) at the beginning of their first term. General information is either circulated via email or via memos left in students’ mailboxes. 

Full-time students are assigned a desk in a shared office.  A key permit application form should be submitted to the Administrative Support Specialist. The Key Control office is in the General Services Complex (GSC) building.

Liaison librarians

Jackie Stapleton, Liaison Librarian, Kinesiology provides library research and teaching support for Kinesiology students, staff and faculty.    Liaison librarians provide guidance on finding and/or citing information for course assignments, papers and presentations.  Specialized support for conducting advanced literature searches for theses, review papers and article publications is also available.

Notice board

General notices that pertain to graduate courses, scholarships, teaching assistant seminars, fees, etc. will be posted on the department’s ‘Graduate Studies’ board outside of BMH 3048.


Most forms that you will need as you go through your graduate program can be obtained at Graduate Studies Office forms.

Safety training and WHMIS

All graduate students are required to complete three mandatory safety training courses:

  • Employee Safety Orientation
  • Workplace Violence Awareness and
  • WHIMIS for Employees (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System).

To complete the courses, go to Safety Office, click on the course name and enroll using your University of Waterloo username and password. Additional safety training courses, also offered through the safety office at the above link, may be required depending on your research area. Your supervisor will help you identify if any additional courses are required.  If you have any questions or concerns regarding safety training, please contact the Kinesiology Lab and Administrative Coordinator.

Email accounts, computer facilities and services

Computer use for graduate students is available in two formats. The first is the Faculty computer called “ahsmail” which operates the UNIX system and is best suited to large scale data analysis and electronic mail. The second is microcomputers providing word processing, spreadsheet, graphics and database management opportunities for general use located in most graduate student offices.

All graduate students are advised to obtain a University of Waterloo email account as soon as possible. This account is used by the Department to relay important, often time sensitive, information to you. It can also be used for data analysis and data storage. A general information session on Department computing will be held during orientation week when you can learn about setting up your e-mail account.

Students are able to use personal computers in their workspace; all student offices have wired or wireless network access. BMH is equipped with wireless network access.  Please contact the Applied Health Sciences Computing staff to get your personal computer set up.

Courses offered by Information Systems & Technology (IST)

Each term, Information Systems & Technology offers courses for new users. These usually consist of a one- or two-hour lecture over two or three days. Topics range from keypunching and software languages to computer program packages. Watch for the IST newsletters in the early part of each term for announcements about courses.

In addition, occasional workshops and introductory courses related to the microcomputer labs in Applied Health Sciences are organized for students. Watch for announcements and sign-up sheets related to these courses on the bulletin boards near the labs.

Telephone use

There is one telephone available for graduate students’ use located by the mailboxes on the third floor (outside BMH 3048). The phone number for this phone is 519-888-4567, ext. 33865.  Please note that this phone does NOT have voice mail capacity and it will connect only on-campus and local phone calls.

Waterloo’s Intellectual Property Policy #73

Unlike many other universities in Canada, graduate students and faculty at the University of Waterloo retain rights to the intellectual property they develop at the university.

Centre for Teaching Excellence

The Centre for Teaching Excellence (CTE) offers free workshops for graduate students who work as Teaching Assistants and Lecturers. The Centre also offers the Certificate in University Teaching program to all Waterloo PhD candidates.

Teaching Assistant (TA) Manual

The Applied Health Sciences Teaching Assistant (TA) Manual is designed to help you prepare for your role and to have a successful experience as a teaching assistant. It outlines typical roles and responsibilities of TAs, summarizes academic integrity requirements, and directs you to university resources and policies relevant to TAs.

Research centres, institutes, and groups

There is an ever-growing number of research groups and centres in, or affiliated with, the Department of Kinesiology and/or the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences. Research centres and groups present an excellent opportunity for you to engage with Waterloo’s academic community, from participating in research projects to attending events and presentations.

Research conference

The Applied Health Sciences Graduate Student Research Event is an interdisciplinary event that offers you the valuable opportunity to present your research in a professional conference setting to an audience of other graduate students and faculty – and to learn about the work of your colleagues across campus.

Endowment fund

Grad students at Waterloo can submit funding proposals to the Graduate Studies Endowment Fund for initiatives that enhance the learning, research, and overall experience of graduate students. Examples of funded projects include improvements to graduate student common space, academic events organized by graduate students, and improvement of physical and electronic resources for graduate students.

Career preparation

Waterloo's Centre for Career Action offers high quality in-person and online services to help you achieve your career goals. Seeking a career in academia? See University Affairs, for job postings at Canadian universities.